First Dye job

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Well here is my first attempt at dyeing. It is Figured Maple and I used the liquid Ritz dye. I put on a coat and it raised the grain. I let it dry and then took 4oo paper to it, cleaned with alcohol and then re-applyed the dye, same thing 4 times then took some 600 and 1500 grit to it and the 1500 polished it some what. I took and put 6 coats of CA and then used some white polish compound and this is what I got from it. I think it is good for the first time but room as always for improvement. Comments and suggestions are always welcome even constructive ones.

Attachments

• RedMaple1.jpg
    RedMaple1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 188
  • RedMaple2.jpg
    RedMaple2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, it really looks great, nice deep color. I dye a lot of pens using aniline dye. It is water soluble as well and when applied it raises the grain as well. What i do once it is dyed is to never touch it with sandpaper again. I use brown paper bag to buff the fuzzies out and very little color comes off and you don`t have to re coat. Doing it that way shows more grain in the wood at the same time keeping a rich color. After that then you can use any finish you want to really pop the grain. Carl

Top Bottom