First closed end pen attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymiller

Well I broke down and attempted a closed end. Notice I said attempted.
The pen was turned using a stock mandrel with spacers. First mistake. I think the mandrel was to long and there was alot of wobble not allowing me to turn the pen as I was hoping. The people that have turned these pens without the pin chuck was the mandrel modified as in cut down a little. Another question does someone make bushings or a shaft for the barrel trimmer for the Baron.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I used an adjustable mandrel when I did mine and shortened to the right length.
You can use corain or hardwood to turn a sleave for your pen mill so that it fits a Baron. Not sure if any one makes one.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />The people that have turned these pens without the pin chuck was the mandrel modified as in cut down a little.

I do not use a pin chuck or a mandrel. I either turn them between centers or use a four jaw chuck.

Chuckie

Deere41h

Terry...The first closed end Barons I did were with a standard mandrel. I added about a 3/4" long 1/4" hole at the end of the tube for the threaded part of the mandrel to fit into. I then used a revolving cup to support the end while turning. After finishing I then parted off the waste and finished the end. Not the best way of doing it but it worked very well for my first half dozen closed end pens. Most of the closed ends in my photos were done that way.

Good luck. Best is to get,or make, a pin chuck.

CSU has a shaft that will fit a Baron for your barrel trimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom