First CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I did my first CA finish yesterday and it was easier than I thought it would be. Unfortunately I got a minor chipping effect at the bushing, very slight. It looks like another one for my personal collection.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Try adding wax to the bushings. This will stop them from sticking but they can grip. When you have a 'lip' you can bend it to the INSIDE of the tube, never to the outside. (outside bends are more apt to give you deep chips while the inside results in smaller chips)

If you take the bushings off EARLY then you can sand off any chipping you may have ;)

Last edited:

Rick_G

best bet is to take it off the bushings before adding the finish. I take mine off the bushings and put the blank between centers for both sanding and finishing. Any finish on the centers is easily removed. If the first coat or two is thin CA it will soak into the end grain effectively sealing if from moisture and a few light swipes of the ends on some 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface quickly removes any inconsistencies on the end.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I did my first CA finish yesterday and it was easier than I thought it would be. Unfortunately I got a minor chipping effect at the bushing, very slight. It looks like another one for my personal collection.

First off, Congrats!!!

Secondly, warning - sometimes you will have that great success, sometimes not. Different woods, etc can sometimes mess with everyone on their finish. Keep trying and have fun with it!

Thirdly - my recommendation for the chipping effect... when your done, turn off the lathe and run a razor blade around at the joint to the bushing. No matter how good you are, sometimes the CA can stick. Then you can separate it from the bushing and do any final cleanup necessary.

Oh - lastly... Pictures!!!! We love pictures here :biggrin:

mecompco

I had the same problem when I started--the razor blade works if you need to use the mandrel. Putting the blank between centers w/o the bushings is way better, if you can.

Regards,
Michael

magpens

If you don`t need to expand your personal collection , you can always sand the finish off and redo it .
.... or dab on a bit of CA over the chipped area and then gently sand that down and repolish the area. I have been successful doing that.

1080Wayne

If you don`t need to expand your personal collection , you can always sand the finish off and redo it .
.... or dab on a bit of CA over the chipped area and then gently sand that down and repolish the area. I have been successful doing that.

I also have done that many times . Only thing to be sure of is that the surface hasn`t been contaminated with wax or something else which could prevent a good bond . If it is a piece which has sat around in my shop for some time , I wipe it with acetone first .

CREID

best bet is to take it off the bushings before adding the finish. I take mine off the bushings and put the blank between centers for both sanding and finishing. Any finish on the centers is easily removed. If the first coat or two is thin CA it will soak into the end grain effectively sealing if from moisture and a few light swipes of the ends on some 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface quickly removes any inconsistencies on the end.
Finishing it between centers is (to me anyway) the best way to go. I had chips once in a while at first so I know how annoying that can be, and to sand the finish off and start over, well let's just say, that wasn't what I really wanted to do.
Curt

farmer

Pens and stuff

I use allot of wax paper, it is so much easier then then anything else I have tried.

Allot of paper products use wax on it. the brown paper bags from the grocery store.
paper milk cartons butchers paper or meat wrapping paper.
Paper straws . the boxes that candies come in and even the coatings on allot of candies is some sort of natural wax ( paraffin, bees , and carnauba are the 3 known natural waxes )
We eat allot of carnauba wax on candies and food
My point is there is almost always something in the house or garage or trash can that can be used to stop the finish from sticking to something you don't want it to stick to and stop the finish from chipping on the ends when you remove the bushings or sanding mandrels ..........

keithbyrd

I use allot of wax paper, it is so much easier then then anything else I have tried.

Allot of paper products use wax on it. the brown paper bags from the grocery store.
Paper straws . the boxes that candies come in and even the coatings on allot of candies is some sort of natural wax ( paraffin, bees , and carnauba are the 3 known natural waxes )
My point is there is almost always something in the house or garage or trash can that can be used to stop the finish from sticking to something you don't want it to stick to and stop the finish from chipping on the ends when you remove the bushings or sanding mandrels ..........

Interesting - Do you punch a hole in a small piece and slip it over the bushing, insert in tube and tear off excess?

farmer

Arbors /sanding mandrels

Interesting - Do you punch a hole in a small piece and slip it over the bushing, insert in tube and tear off excess?

Yes , what ever it takes so you don't have to deal with the mandrel sticking to you work.

79spitfire

I made my own tapered non stick bushings out of a piece of Delrin rod. I drill a 1/4" hole in the Delrin, and then turn it on the lathe to the profile I like. After turning, before finishing I switch out the metal bushings for the plastic ones. Nothing sticks to Delrin, making it easy to pop the blank off without damaging the finish and then sanding excess off.

Fish30114

I made my own tapered non stick bushings out of a piece of Delrin rod. I drill a 1/4" hole in the Delrin, and then turn it on the lathe to the profile I like. After turning, before finishing I switch out the metal bushings for the plastic ones. Nothing sticks to Delrin, making it easy to pop the blank off without damaging the finish and then sanding excess off.

+1 here!

Top Bottom