first big sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I had my first big sale today of 4 pens. I sold them to the people who own a christmas tree farm. We were buying our tree there and i showed them the pens I make. I asked them aout the left over trees that they have. Well after christmas I will be getting free wood for making pens. The owiner asked me about putting thier bussines name on pens that I will make from the wood I am getting. Would using the Wood Imprinting Transfer from psi work for that? i do not want to do any laser enraving because of cost.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Way to go on the sale Daniel! I'm not sure about the Imprinting transfer you're talking about. I would check with some of the people that do laser engraving or even see if anyone in your area does engraving. You could probably find someone at a local trophy shop or something like that. They are generally reasonably priced.

Ron Mc

Good job!! Hopefully they spent more for the pens than you spent on the tree![:D]
Engraving the pens really isn't that expensive considering the added sell price to the pen.
E-mail me and I'll talk to you about it further.

alamocdc

That's great, Spike. I agree with the others. Laser engraving isn't that expensive over all and well worth the money for the professional look you get.

Spike

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Good job!! Hopefully they spent more for the pens than you spent on the tree![:D]
Engraving the pens really isn't that expensive considering the added sell price to the pen.
E-mail me and I'll talk to you about it further.
yep, $107 worth. I came in to buy a tree and left with a tree more money in my pocket and a hunk of doug fir. they bought more pens than my tree cost.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Spike
<br /> Would using the Wood Imprinting Transfer from psi work for that? i do not want to do any laser enraving because of cost.
The transfer tool will not work for pens.... it is meant as a tool to transfer a pattern to a piece of wood for cutting... usually used by scroll saw artists...
Laser engraving is far from expensive considering what you get... if the customer wants the company name laser engraved, just add $7.00 per pen. You end up making a bit more and the customer get quality work
Here is pricing directly off Ken Nelsens site http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=3699&s=Penturners+Click+Here&f=1
"Engraving costs are $5.00 per pen. That includes text and logo. Each extra line is an additional $2.00. If you want something on both sides of the pen, add $2.00. 2-10 pens with the same logo/text are $4.00 per pen. 11-50 pens are $3.00 per pen. Any more than 50 pens, e-mail or call me"

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by TomServo
<br />There's also those logo branding irons...

They are worse than the transfer tools... it will leave a rough burned effect at the edges of the tool and the cost is prohibitive for a small project..
At least the transfer tool will leave an image as smooth as the print you are transferring...

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Congrats. I'd say you came out ahead on that deal. On the engravine, like Griz says, it's not that expensive and looks better, plus you can have then color filled if the customer wants.
BTW, what type of pens and what wood were the ones you sold?

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
The transfer tool will not work for pens.... it is meant as a tool to transfer a pattern to a piece of wood for cutting... usually used by scroll saw artists...
Laser engraving is far from expensive considering what you get... if the customer wants the company name laser engraved, just add $7.00 per pen. You end up making a bit more and the customer get quality work
Here is pricing directly off Ken Nelsens site http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=3699&s=Penturners+Click+Here&f=1
"Engraving costs are $5.00 per pen. That includes text and logo. Each extra line is an additional $2.00. If you want something on both sides of the pen, add $2.00. 2-10 pens with the same logo/text are $4.00 per pen. 11-50 pens are $3.00 per pen. Any more than 50 pens, e-mail or call me"

I agree, but they do show on the website that it works for pens. I tend to doubt it.

Fangar

Spike

Originally posted by Monty
<br />Congrats. I'd say you came out ahead on that deal. On the engravine, like Griz says, it's not that expensive and looks better, plus you can have then color filled if the customer wants.
BTW, what type of pens and what wood were the ones you sold?
All four were slimlines. One was a corn cob. One was made of poplar. the other was cedar with a treble cleft clip and the last one was my highest priced pen ( I cut them a deal though they wanted to give me a wreath but i had no use for it so i knocked off a little.) a black titanium made from black and white poplar in a checkard pattern I had posted awile back in the show off your pens.

2005121033438_2.jpg
<br />

Spike

Well I am going to find out if it will work on pens. I Have already bought it. If it works on pens I will post one on here. If it doesn't I'll tell you guys. but i have other uses for it though so it is not a total waste.

saltwein

I have seen transfers used to put mayflies on handsplit cane rods. I don't know the process put I do know it will work on bamboo rods, should work on pens.

Regards, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom