First attempt at a Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaTurner83

After seeing the previous threads on Celtic knots I decided to give it a try on some scrap.I read all the tutorials and put everything I learned to work.Made up a jig for my table saw and come up with this knot.Its in some scrap and wont be made into a pen.I have a couple of adjustments to make but I think it turned out well for a first.

Attachments

• WP_000444.jpg
    WP_000444.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

7-1/4" circular saw blades have very thin kerfs on the order of .075". Don't push the cut too aggressively as the thin blades have a tendency to "sing". ie the blade will start to vibrate and widen the cut, and bad things happen then.

randyrls

This is the next thing that I want to try also. What kind of jig did you end up making? :confused:

Tony; I created a Celtic knot jig and it's in the library
Like many jigs, you can make it out of wood scraps. The only things that you may need to buy is the threaded rod, knob, and the tee-nut.

I've got a newer version and I may put that in the library later.

TonyBal

Randy,
I did see that before & it looks very functional. How is yours different/better. I will probably build one this weekend. Is there anything you wish you had done different with that old 20/20 hindsight? :biggrin:

GaTurner83

Here is the jig I made out of some scrap I had lying around.Its not the best but it does work.I will be making a better one when I get better materials.I went to Home Depot yesterday and a Diablo 7 1/4 inch 40 tooth blade for on the saw.The kerf is .062 which is much thinner than my other blades.Thanks for all of the tips.

GaTurner83

Here is the jig.Its made of 1/4" mdf bottom with 3/4 x 2" maple fence.On my next one I want to make it where the fence is adjustable for the angle.

Attachments

• WP_000454.jpg
    WP_000454.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

randyrls

Randy,
I did see that before & it looks very functional. How is yours different/better. I will probably build one this weekend. Is there anything you wish you had done different with that old 20/20 hindsight? :biggrin:

The newer version uses two miter slots for the base. The fence, threaded rod, and hold-down are separate and can be adjusted for different angles. I'm still experimenting with differing positions for the base and plate.

randyrls

Here is the jig I made out of some scrap I had lying around.Its not the best but it does work.I will be making a better one when I get better materials.I went to Home Depot yesterday and a Diablo 7 1/4 inch 40 tooth blade for on the saw.The kerf is .062 which is much thinner than my other blades.Thanks for all of the tips.

Jon; Be cautious; The actual kerf of the saw blade will be different than the .062" Mine is about .075". To get the most accurate cuts, cut part way thru a piece of scrap wood, then measure the kerf with a set of leaf feeler gauges.

GaTurner83

Here's the second attempt at the Celtic Knot.Its maple with black kydex for the inlay.

Attachments

• WP_000457.jpg
    WP_000457.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 85
Top Bottom