First Aluminum Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

Well, here is my very first attempt at segmenting with aluminum sheeting. Not great, but at least it's close to what it should look like I think.

Wall Street II Gold pen kit - a piece of scrap mesquite wood I had hanging around - the aluminum is the stuff they use at the newspaper locally for printing the local rag. The cuts were made with an old 15" scroll saw that is older than me I think. The finish is 6 coats of CA/BLO the way Russ Fairfield does it, and then Ren wax.

Now, how in the world do you get smooth arcs with a scroll saw (ya I know, practice practice, practice - *LOL*). Also, I see where a couple of the aluminum strips didn't meet up, what is the secret to making sure that happens.

I enjoyed doing this technique, but it is a bit frustrating, so any suggestions, or constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks for looking.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

For some reason the pictures didn't load, will try again. Please excuse the photos, just haven't had the time to get set up properly yet.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Attachments

• DSCN0339 (373 x 280).jpg
    DSCN0339 (373 x 280).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCN0340 (373 x 280).jpg
    DSCN0340 (373 x 280).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN0341 (373 x 280).jpg
    DSCN0341 (373 x 280).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 389

gothycdesigns

From what I can see looks like a good start. Great job ! The pictures are a little small to see more detail, but looks good. Keep it going!!

Thanks for sharing.

mtgrizzly52

The blanks were cut into curves and then a flat piece of aluminum the same size as the blank was CA glued to the main blank and then the cut out piece was CA glued to the other side of the aluminum to put the blank back together.

I wouldn't know how to do a surface inlay, and I'm not sure it would look so good.

Thanks for your kind words.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the club Rick ! Not bad in my opinion . I got some dog legs and flat places too . Just have to practice I guess .

Top Bottom