First Acrlyic some Questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well I turned my first acrlyic last night I will have to get a pic I know for now you will have to take my word I did it. Anyhow I usally finish my pens using a scraper (it is safe) however when I did this on the acrlyic I got chatter on the far piece. It was a cagar pen. The piece near the head stock was find but the far piece just chattered. Is this normal?

Also for a finish I just micromeshed and polished looks really good is this the normal way to finish these?

What a joy to turn so consistant and much faster than wood finishing go really quick compaired to my try CA and blo 4 times before it work finish.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Scraper needs sharpening. I use my skew in the scraper position and get a real fine finish. Can go right to micromesh. Use water when sanding acrylic and go back and forth with quick motions and final finish is a plastic polish. Acrylics are a pleasure to turn.

DurocShark

All of the above. With the additional comment of, you'll find a razor sharp skew to be superior for acrylics.

DurocShark

Yup. I found with the stock one if I rounded the tip it would work ok. But a true 60* live center in the tailstock is much nicer.

Top Bottom