First....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Today I drilled my first blank on the lathe using my Barracuda and a Jacobs chuck....a little slow but straight as an arrow. I believe I'll do that again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
After a while, you'll find it's almost as fast and lots more accurate than using the drill press... you actually have more control of the speed on the lathe. I converted over a year ago and haven't looked back since.

islandturner

After a while, you'll find it's almost as fast and lots more accurate than using the drill press... you actually have more control of the speed on the lathe. I converted over a year ago and haven't looked back since.

Ditto...! I use a Supernova II chuck with their 25 cm pin jaws. I can turn and drill square blanks or round. I find the control this way during drilling is considerably better. Maybe not quite as fast as with the drill press, when doing batches...?

DurocShark

I love drilling on the lathe.

If you round your blanks first, you can use the curved jaws on your chuck and get even more accuracy.

(I don't unless I'm cutting it REALLY close size-wise. But I do lots of casting in pipe, so they're already round... heh)

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Problem....

Well today I hit my first problem.....my 3/8th chuck just won't take a 27/64th bit. So I had to order an additional chuck, since I'm going to be turning a lot of Sierra style pens...Ain't that just like life though, own nearly every tool in the catalog and on your first project you need the one you don't own.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll be doing that

I love drilling on the lathe.

If you round your blanks first, you can use the curved jaws on your chuck and get even more accuracy.

(I don't unless I'm cutting it REALLY close size-wise. But I do lots of casting in pipe, so they're already round... heh)
I have a few round blanks that someone on here sold me....of course I forget who...but I will be trying to drill them on the lathe also. PSI sold me a half-inch chuck so I will be able to use my lathe for the bigger kits. I broke my blank vice so my drill press is probably out of the picture.

Timbo

What he said. The only time I use the drill press is when I intentionally want to drill off-center to get the desired color mix in a blank that contains some sapwood.

PenMan1

Best reason I can think of to have a "drilling" lathe and a turning lathe.

When you think about it, you can get a second lathe that will do a remarkable job for less than the price of a decent drill press!

I know, I know...the change over is quick....but this makes a BETTER, More ACCURATE product, QUICKER! Think my wife will buy this arguement?

bitshird

I don't even own a drill press, and the thought of drilling pen blanks on my milling machine kind of sounds silly, so I drill with my Barracuda with pin jaws, Now I have to get a set for the new Super Nova 2. I wonder when the money stops going out, I sell some tools and I buy some tools, it's a vicious cycle.

PenMan1

I don't even own a drill press, and the thought of drilling pen blanks on my milling machine kind of sounds silly, so I drill with my Barracuda with pin jaws, Now I have to get a set for the new Super Nova 2. I wonder when the money stops going out, I sell some tools and I buy some tools, it's a vicious cycle.

"Hello...My name is Ken... and I'm a tool addict!"....."It started with a $5 broken screw extractor kit.....Soon it turned into a $100 a day habit...I started making tools and selling them to my friends to support my tool habit"

Hello Ken....I'm Andy...Welcome:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Depends

Best reason I can think of to have a "drilling" lathe and a turning lathe.

When you think about it, you can get a second lathe that will do a remarkable job for less than the price of a decent drill press!

I know, I know...the change over is quick....but this makes a BETTER, More ACCURATE product, QUICKER! Think my wife will buy this arguement?

That depends on what the arguement is accompanied by. A nice bouquet of her favorite flowers usually works for me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Never

If you are lucky you'll buy your last tool with your last cent on the last day of your life....of course if you buy on credit the money can keep going for some time after you've gone to your final rest.

Top Bottom