firewood for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

Does anyone check out their local firewood seller for wood for pens? I checked out one close to my house this weekend and was a bit surprised at what I found. He charges about $25 for a half cord of wood. He had red eucalyptus, red oak (very red due to seasoning in the sun), and a large section of black walnut. There was some burl wood as well as crotch wood. It was all the same price. Some needs to dry out more and a lot of it was ready to use. Some of the red eucalyptus looked like it had some curl to it as well. I didn't have a checkbook with me nor cash (the only forms of payment he takes), so I will probably go back there this Saturday. They just get the wood from tree trimmers and split it and stack it. They don't set anything aside or charge more for a particular type of wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Craig,
I saw some great looking wood with a lot of promise at the local Publix Supermarket over the winter. Had to pass it up unfortunately wasn't worth the argument. You would be suprised where you find the "diamonds in the rough" (Sorry, I had to go there my kids had Aladin on continuous play all weekend). Check with your local tree trimming companies, they know the species they are cutting and it usually have to either gring it or haul it away. I have had good luck there.

Longfellow

Found Wood

Craig,
I saw some great looking wood with a lot of promise at the local Publix Supermarket over the winter. Had to pass it up unfortunately wasn't worth the argument. You would be suprised where you find the "diamonds in the rough" (Sorry, I had to go there my kids had Aladin on continuous play all weekend). Check with your local tree trimming companies, they know the species they are cutting and it usually have to either gring it or haul it away. I have had good luck there.

With one exception I have had no luck with the tree cutters. They promise to give me call and only one has ever contacted me. And probably because I had made a large plaque for him out of a slab of cedar he needed. I did it free of charge. A few months ago he pulled into my driveway with a truckload of Norfolk Island Pine logs. Wanted me to take the whole load. I took 6 good sized logs. Now he wants me to turn him a bowl from the wood. I cruise the streets in the area and find wood waiting to be picked up by the sanitation department. Also know a few people who have citrus groves that let me cut their dead or dying trees.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I will stop anytime I see a tree job taking place and have been known to walk up to someones wood pile for a quick look. Most of the time a nice slimline is payment for a few very nice logs. I have my eyes on a couple of trees right now that are covered in burls.

el_d

I drive out of my way to look at a very burled Pecan tree that looks like it will die any day.:eek:
I get wierd looks from poeple that dont know what Im doing......:biggrin:

reddwil

I came out of our local Ace Hardware back during the winter. They had the little bundles of firewood in front of the store. My daughter is the one who actually noticed it. One of the bundles was full of spalted maple. Got about 75 blanks for $3.89. Sold 50 of them for $1.00 each. Not a bad profit. You'd be surprised what you can find at home depot and Lowes. Check out the round and square hardwood dowel rods. They are supplied from south America. I have gotten some really nice figured woods. Even a couple pieces of ebony.

Last edited:

jleiwig

And here all I can think about is where this firewood is for $25 per half-cord. Here in the Northeast it's over twice that!

Well..I would assume that it would be because the City of Angels does not quite experience the weather that you do. I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.:biggrin:

I would think that firewood for LA is more aiken to ski boots for the Sonoran desert, rarely needed in either place!

Robert A.

Don't forget to check out stacks of pallets.Looked down at work the other day and found one with a cocobolo board,the rest of it is mahogany.The mahogany don't mean that much to me.I've got a wood shop that throws away maghogany all the time.I go dumpster diving all the time.Oh the guy that give me the pallet bought the first pen.

RAdams

Banned
yeah, i can't get over the 50 bucks a cord thing... last fall, my local firewood dealer was getting $75 a rick, and that was not delivered, or even loaded. for that price, he would point you to a rick of wood, and tell you to get busy.

Pallets and such are a good place to look. A friend gave me a huge hunk of purpleheart that was used as a seperator on a truckload of pipe or something. giant 4 by 4 piece that produced lots of blanks.

Top Bottom