Finishing Ziricote

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

First time that I am turning this wood. Seems very, very, soft. Does CA take well to it? Or should I just use a Pen Plus or WTF finish.

Thanks for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

First time that I am turning this wood. Seems very, very, soft. Does CA take well to it? Or should I just use a Pen Plus or WTF finish.

Thanks for reading.

Tony that is just another oily wood. I have no problem using CA on any of the oily woods as long as I wipe thoroughly down with acetone. Let that dry before applying CA

I also just like to use a Danish oil on it and then polish it to a nice soft sheen. I did that with the base on this clock. Another beautiful wood to work with. The clock is Canary wood by the way.

Ziricote Exotic Wood & Ziricote Lumber | Bell Forest Products

Last edited:

keithbyrd

I agree with John except I use alcohol - never had any problems. I was concerned with acetone because acetone will dissolve CA. Probably not enough acetone to effect it or it evaporates quickly, but I didn't want to take any chances!

TonyL

I was thinking the same Steve so, I prepped two last night. I may finish one with PP and one with CA. I also coated the inside of the barrels with thin CA before gluing the tubes. It seems redundant, but the "drill dust" was so fine and soft, I thought it may help hold things together. Again, I am sure that step wasn't necessary.

Thank you for serving our country.

TonyL

The PP came out good and I will handle frequently to see how it holds up. I will try a CA finish on my next go round.

Top Bottom