Finishing your Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I have a problem with very small chip like finish on the end of the pen blank.after I've turn,sanded and applied CA,I then I take it off the lathe to notice very small chips on the ends of the barrel of some of the blanks.
I know it is the CA on the wood,I think.Before I turn the pen on the lathe should I put some wax on the bushings or on/and the ends of the barrels?Its driving me crazy,all my work and the THIS.Any comments please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I use Derlin bushings that have tapered ends the will fit various sizes of tubes. CA does not stick to Derlin plastic. Someone may be able to attach a picture to illustrate what I am talking about.

SkewedUp

Scoring the CA between the bushing and the blank using a sharp blade like a box cutter or a craft knife is a quick and easy way to reduce any chip out on the finished barrel. Turn the mandrel by hand and score all the way around the barrel before removing the bushings.

You can also repair the chipped CA finish using a toothpick to apply a tiny amount of CA to the chipped spots in the finish, but I'd probably put the blank back on and give it another coat of CA finish.

Delrin bushings work well too but I rarely take the time to switch out the bushings to apply the CA finish.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Remedial action, place a small amount of thin CA on a piece of wax paper being sure it is a thin coat. Put the chipped end in the CA and often it will, through capillary action, fill the chip thus making it go away. Be sure there is not a build up in the tube; if there is use an Exacto to remove it.
WB

Rounder

I have gotten to where I take the blank off of the bushings before I apply CA. Had problems scoring a straight line and getting the bushings to come loose. Without the bushings, the CA rolls over the edge and then I just sand the ends down flush. I have had less problems that way.

raar25

Next time try breaking your bushings free from the barrels before you start sanding. Than put the bushings back and sand away. Yes you can put a little wax on the bushing before CA to help it stick less.

Joey-Nieves

All the above But...
I use different methods for different pens. For 7mm pens I use pieces of 7mm brass tube as bushings. The smaller size of the the tube prevents the buildup at the end of the blank. On 8mm I use home made delrin or equivalent, with a 30 degree slope or a 7mm brass tube with corian stopper smaller than the blank. the rest I do between centers.
The main Idea is to have a bushing that is smaller than the blank so that the glue can't stick to easily to the bushing. If the bushing is of a smaller radius than the blank then it will be easier to apply glue to the blank without getting any glue on the bushings 9 after some practice)

Joey
Apprentice pen wizard 1st class

studioseven

I strickly use the Delrin bushings when applying CA. However my experience is that the CA does stick to these bushings. After around 25 pens I need to remove the layers of CA from these bushings. As listed on this thread, it is important for the bushings to have a smaller diameter than the blank. When I leave these layers of CA on I get small chips on the ends of my blanks when I remove them.

Seven

Jim Burr

Banned
Come on Pat...this has been covered over and over...PR mix is to hot and chippy, turning to fast, taking to big a cut, air bubbles in the cast, glued your bushings to the tube...cut it off...what hasn't been covered? You've been at this for as long time...you know how to fix this stuff.

TonyL

Believe it or not, I had CA stick to my Delrin bushings - definitely less stuck, but it did.
I bought them from a very reputable and skilled vendor/craftsman.

Dan Masshardt

Believe it or not, I had CA stick to my Delrin bushings - definitely less stuck, but it did. I bought them from a very reputable and skilled vendor/craftsman.

Ca sure will stick to delrin, but it will come off easier. I think it's more bonded to itself around the delrin bushing that stuck fast to the delrin.

For best results, wax the delrin.

Irish Pat

I'm sorry but I'm not long at this and I didn't know it was covered before!I only read the forum from time to time.
Well any way I don't think you understood my question,its not about glue on the tubes,its about glue on the bushings.I do know how to clean off any glue on my tubes.

Irish Pat

I'm sorry but I'm not long at this and I didn't know it was covered before!I only read the forum from time to time.
Well any way I don't think you understood my question,its not about glue on the tubes,its about glue on the bushings.I do know how to clean off any glue on my tubes.
Also Where can I buy Delrin bushings?

This message was for Jim.

walshjp17

Also Where can I buy Delrin bushings?
[/quote]

Any of the pen supplier houses will have them. Look for Hold Fast Non-Stick Bushings for CA Pen Finishing

Top Bottom