Finishing a "whisky barrel" blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I just received my Scotch Whisky/Sherry blanks from rarewoods and would like to turn one tomorrow. Part of the "charm" of these blanks is their delicious smell. I don't even drink and they smell great to me. I'd really like to keep the smell so that the purchaser of these pens gets to enjoy it as well as he tells the story about the wood to his friends. Is there any way to put a nice finish on these blanks (white oak) and still keep the smell?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Smith

GoodTurns

anything that seals it properly will also seal in the smell, leave it natural and it will smell like "eau de hand" in a couple weeks/months.

sbell111

I just received my Scotch Whisky/Sherry blanks from rarewoods and would like to turn one tomorrow. Part of the "charm" of these blanks is their delicious smell. I don't even drink and they smell great to me. I'd really like to keep the smell so that the purchaser of these pens gets to enjoy it as well as he tells the story about the wood to his friends. Is there any way to put a nice finish on these blanks (white oak) and still keep the smell?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Smith
Don't bother trying to find a finish that will keep the smell, because it will fade away soon anyhow.

Rarest wood

keep them unfinished in a closed plastic box or even a tupperware box sometimes you may be able to get the closed end tubes for keeping finished pens in Ive had these blanks for about 3 months now and they still waft aromas round like it was a new years party in Glasgow pub:biggrin:

Top Bottom