Finishing Troubles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

Hello all. I am having an issue with my last 2 pens in applying a CA finish. The first pen was a former clock made from a block of what I am told was Fig wood that had a thick coat of shellac. It was many years old and very dry. After stripping the shellac (using a planner - no chemicals), I turned and sanded the blank. I applied the CA finish as usual and after a few hours it started developing hairline cracks. The next morning the blank looked like shattered glass.

I was thinking that maybe there was some chemical treatment done to the wood when it was first made into a clock and that was now affecting the finish. The same results happened on another piece of fig.

So I made a segmented pen using 4 different pieces of wood and NO FIG. I had the same results of a shattered finish.

But what I don't understand is used the same CA glue and accelerator on 3 other pens with a flawless finish. So any ideas what the problem is with the other wood???

Thanks for the help.

1080Wayne

I assume the other 3 pens were made at about the same time , so aging of the CA shouldn`t be an issue . Are you using thin or medium CA ? How many coats ? Time lapse between coats ? Overall thickness applied ?

Possibly a problem caused by the combination of several thick layers of CA which have been aggressively accelerated ?? It takes quite a while for a thick layer (3-4 thou ?) of CA to cure - maybe a week or more . You might retry the fig without using accelerator , but keeping everything else the same .

Top Bottom