Finishing stabilized blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Got some "amalgam-mutt" blanks from bear tooth. Incredibly beautiful. I'm open to finishing suggestions for stabilized blanks. Basic question: finish it like wood or like acrylic?

Thx, rink.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Got some "amalgam-mutt" blanks from bear tooth. Incredibly beautiful. I'm open to finishing suggestions for stabilized blanks. Basic question: finish it like wood or like acrylic?

Thx, rink.

Well, first I don't thing that, Eugene's pieces of wood he uses are stabilised, I may be wrong though...!

If I'm correct, you have a combination of raw wood and acrylic, in this case, Alumilite. Some softer woods may allow a little soaking from the casting resin but not much, certainly not straight through as stabilized wood so, you have 2 very material densities to go through, one requires a protection coating (wood) while the acrylic, doesn't...!

My suggestion is to protect both surfaces with the CA coating/finish, you get an extra shine/gloss on the Alumilite and an equal gloss on the wood so the surface looks uniform, while protected.

I suggest, for these types of blanks, 2 coats with very thin CA and then 6 to 10 coats of medium CA, this is what I do with mine...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Rink

Thanks for the lesson on stabilized blanks. My bad assumption. After applying the CA, what about using a plastic polish like I use on acrylics, since the surface is essentially a resin at that point?

JohnU

Thanks for the lesson on stabilized blanks. My bad assumption. After applying the CA, what about using a plastic polish like I use on acrylics, since the surface is essentially a resin at that point?

Yep, you will have no problems with the plastic polishes on a ca finish.

robutacion

Yep, you will have no problems with the plastic polishes on a ca finish.

I agree, a good polishing compound will make a big difference to the shine of the CA, even better if you have polishing wheels...!

I like to used the "Novus #2" polish paste...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom