Finishing question and more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuba707

Hello everyone,
New to the forums and relatively new to turning/penturning... I have about 60-70 pens to my name but the first 50 or so were the trial-and-error kind - I didn't really have anyone showing me what to do so I have learned all sorts of things the hard way. But I discovered that there are a bunch of people out there that are much better and have been there/done that so I figured I would start with a few questions because I am anxious to learn and be as good as I can be. Thanks also to Skye and Gerry Rhoades of Montana Pens for some help already.

I know this is bridging several different areas so I will post it in several different areas.

1st - Can someone give me a rundown on the different types of popular finishes - pros/cons on lacquer, CABLO, friction polishes, sprays, dipping, etc.

2nd - I have a number of El Grande Streamline FP's (platinum) and I am trying to think of some imaginative way to turn the pen into a desk stand sort of thing - except probably just using the body of the pen because I don't want it to thread in - I just want it to set in - but obviously I can't have the nib touching anything. My album has a pic of this general idea with a baron fountain. Any brilliant ideas that do NOT involve using the cap? And does anyone know if the Baron closed-cap mandrel (made for 15/32) would work for the 31/64 body of the El Grande Streamline so that I can do a closed-end?
(BTW If anyone would like to take a pack of 10 of the FP's off of me for $60+ $5 shipping please let me know. That's much less than I paid for them).

3rd - How often do group buys for CSUSA come up? Does that just depend? And is there a cheaper source than CSUSA for Tru-stone?

4th - I was told by Gerry that a round-nose scraper works well for acyrlic - any recommendations on a specific brand/size? My two turning tools are a Kryo pen gouge and a Kryo skew.

5th - Anyone have any good recommendations for someone on the forums that could get me a simple web setup for a reasonable rate (I have very good hosting, I just don't have the time to take advantage of it b/c I'm currently in college)?

6th - Best place to sell higher-end pens - I know this probably depends, but I would love some ideas.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to talking to everyone and learning lots. I love penturning and I am hoping to use it to help finance some of my tuition as well. Your help is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tuba707

Sorry, I posted in the wrong forum, but I do have a turning question or two in there =)

Can I change old posts of mine, or topic names?

Scott

Hi Joel!

You seem to have some penturning questions in there, so I'd say you're OK. You should get plenty of answers. You can learn a lot about finishes just by going to that forum and reading through the posts. I prefer CA finishes because they're quick and durable, but there are many options to choose from, and they all deserve consideration.

Good Luck!

Scott.

webmonk

Hi Joel,

5) My day job is as a web developer. Email me (jon@centralridge.com) with some idea of what the site is going to "do" (is it a full blown store, a gallery, just a hey, look at me kind of thing?) and I'll help ya get an idea of what will be required.

6) I sell my high-end stuff in a couple of places, but I've had the most success in a men's high-end clothing store (the kind of place with $2,000 suits). For me the key was getting in good with the salesmen. From the stories I hear from them, they often do the shopping for the customer who will call in some vague request like "I need a gift for my uncle's 50th birthday." If the salesman is your buddy, the odds are good that person may just be getting a pen. ;)

Hope that helps!

Jon

gerryr

For your first question, use this link. Russ Fairfield probably knows more about finishing than any 10 of us here.
http://www.woodturner-russ.com/FinishingSecrets.html

3rd - Groups buys for CSUSA come up on a faily regular basis and right now CSUSA is the only source for Tru Stone. There's another company that has a website but it was supposed to be open months ago and still isn't. They may never actually open for business.

4th - My scraper is a brand I can't remember, fairly uncommon. A scraper is a simple tool. What you want is one that is thick, the thicker the better. Mine is 1/4" thick and solid as a rock. I wouldn't use one that was less than 3/16" thick and if I were buying one now, I would probably get a 3/4". Sometimes 1" is too wide. Don't worry about brand for a scraper, just make sure it's made from HSS and is no less than 3/16" thick or might have a chatter tool.

5th - Go to the member list and find "kiddo" and send her an email. She had two domain names for sale and, IIRC, a website already set up or can set one up easily. She's very good.[:D]

jeffj13

I'll tackle #2, by saying that, while possible, this is not a good idea. When not in use, fountain pens should be stored wtih the nib up. This is so the ink will not clog the feed.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom