Finishing - new lessons learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Well, I've asked questions here, got answers, been reading everything in library as well as receiving some personal phone tutoring from helpful member(TonyL). And, of course youtubes. And, am making really good progress on finishes.

Today I got so much depth and gloss that I could see that I left scratches in the wood and simply covered them with CA.

I was having a lot of difficulty seeing all scratches, even with loupe. But, I learned to wipe with alcohol and while wet, inspect. That way I can see the scratches much better. Don't know the science but, works for me.

Also, have not been able to buff a good wax polish with paper towel and read all the dangers of using rags. Well, I cut soft rag in 2" x 2" squares, folded in half and wow, what a difference. And, I don't think there is any risk.

Would be happy to hear any other alternatives (other than buffing wheel setup)

Thanks for all the valuable tips and help for beginners on this site.

Regis

Regis - glad you are seeing positive results! And, yes, most all of us are either in progress to an acceptable, brilliant, crystal clear, wonderful, beautiful, magnificent, durable, perfect finish or have arrived. I ain't there, yet. But after almost 10 years, I, too, am making headway.

Funnies aside, I have been using 2x2 squares cut from old (100%) cotton t-shirts to apply and buff out Novus 3 and 2. Performs beautifully but I ALWAYS keep speed at the absolute minimum. There are risks at higher speeds and the consequences are ugly. Just because you didn't dislocate your finger this time doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. Occasional wrap ups keep me honest. I don't use wax.

I do use the Beall wheels (Tripoli and white diamond only) as a final step. Wowzer!

Best,

donstephan

Sometimes a light shining from the side across the surface, tangent (a "raking" light) helps me see scratches better than a light shining perpendicular to the surface. After sanding with the lathe on, often I'll turn the lathe off and sand with the grain, all the way around the pen body. This seems to reduce the number of scratches. Many will sand with each grit, rather than skip over. So if you start with 150, you could use 180, 240, 320, 400, . . . to your final grit. I've also read that one should not jump more than 150% in grit size; so if you start with 120, you could skip 150 and next use 180, but don't skip from 120 to 220.

Top Bottom