Finishing a handpainted pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thefunkyP

tn_IMG_3964.jpg

Here is a pen I've been working on for an art show at work. I had my very talented wife hand paint the fountain image for a series of pens I'm doing inspired by Kansas City fountains.

My question though is how to finish this pen without ruining the paint job? The paint is an enamel used typically with model cars and the wood is holly. I tried a test blank with a Medium CA finish and it smeared the paint. I've tried spraying with a protectant and also applying a clear gloss acryllic before applying the CA and nothing has worked very well. I searched the forums a little for ideas and didn't come up with many. I would prefer to be able to use the CA finish as it would seemingly best protect the art. My next guess would be some kind of lacquer finish, but I've not attempted any of that yet. What processes have you all used or heard of/seen before?

Thanks for looking and for any ideas and suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I don't have a good answer for your current problem; but it occurs to me that you might look at the problem from a different angle for future projects and experiment with some different paints to see if you can find one that will stand up to CA.

There are a couple of people here who hand-paint their pens. The one I remember right off-hand is Johnathan. He doesn't visit regularly so you might want to email him.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think you will find that most of us who have painted pens use acrylic paints. Both CA and lacquer can be used over acrylic.

karlkuehn

Banned
You might mess around with a water-based poly (I think it's a teal Minwax can) as a seal coat and then CA over that, but I've never tried it so I'm no help in the experience department.

Judging from the picture, the blanks look a tad proud of the bushings. If so, for the next one you might think about turning the blanks down a little past the bushings, as the finish is likely to get kinda thick, leaving the finished pen looking under turned.

Very cool looking artwork! :)

Johnathan

Well, you know for next time to go with some type of acrylic. You can still use CA but you need to use a thick enough amount that you do not creat a great deal of drag on the paint. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Johnathan

Just another observation... When coating a painted pen, remember, you are going to be adding to the pen. This looks a bit under turned to me and a layer of CA will only make it worse. Could just be the photo.

thefunkyP

Perhaps I didn't give it a good enough coat of CA and ran into the paint. I will have to do more experimenting with acrylic paint. I am surprised to find that the blanks in the photo aren't lining up with the bushings though. I sure don't remember them being that way and I now have the pen assembled with a temporary finish and it doesn't seem to be that much off. Sorry for the horrible photo. I'll try to post better photos of the finished pen soon.
Thanks for the help and advice.

nava1uni

How about using wipe on poly. I have been experimenting with using it and it is working very nicely. I put it on with a lint free cloth and apply 2-3 coats letting them dry out between coats for about 1/2 hour. It gives a good protective coat, that feels goods and so far is holding up well to being carried in my pocket and used for work and everything else. I am using semi-gloss, but there is also glossy if you want more of a shine. I like the wood to be what shows the most.
Cindy;)

thefunkyP

Originally posted by nava1uni

How about using wipe on poly. I have been experimenting with using it and it is working very nicely. I put it on with a lint free cloth and apply 2-3 coats letting them dry out between coats for about 1/2 hour. It gives a good protective coat, that feels goods and so far is holding up well to being carried in my pocket and used for work and everything else. I am using semi-gloss, but there is also glossy if you want more of a shine. I like the wood to be what shows the most.
Cindy;)

Thanks Cindy,
That's not a bad idea. Do you sand between coats? I think part of my problem is I'm keeping things too thin and maybe need to layer the poly or CA up a little more before sanding.

Top Bottom