Finishing a decal???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dexter0606

I'm making some pens for a charity and I have made decals of their logo to add to the finished pen. The pens are acrylic and I have wet sanded and polished the barrels before applying the decal. The decal has been allowed to set for a day.
I've done a few experiments with this and to date haven't had a lot of success.
I read an earlier thread that said to put a coat of thin CA over the entire pen and let it dry. I used extra thin CA, applied it, let it dry and when I tried to apply more when it was on the lathe, the finish gummed up and I had to micro mesh, of course too deep and into my decal.
Then I tried applying the CA with a drop of BLO. The frist coat seemed to work but then the decal lifted on the second or third.
Any advice on technique or material I should be using?

Thanks
Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

Jeff, I'm just throwing out an idea here, don't know for sure. But, since you already have the buffed blank and decal on top, you may want to try starting with Medium CA. Something that will give a little thicker coating at the onset. Put a good coating on and be sure to let it dry, then apply another coat. Like I said, stabbing in the dark here, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Good Luck!

PTownSubbie

Jeff,

I know there are some threads posted here that talk specifically about this. I know what you are talking about, I destroyed my first label by sanding too deep.

The specific thread is here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47723&highlight=labels

This is the procedure that I followed for the second pen. IMO, it sounds like your CA was not fully cured before you put the next coats on them..... Try to let them dry a lot longer.

How long after the label was applied did you cover it with glue? I didn't wait long enough the first attempt. It worked better after waiting a while. If you don't wait long enough, the moisture will lift the label off of the blank.

Hope this helps some......

dexter0606

Thanks guys
I'll give your suggestions a try. Just to be clear, when you say to apply a coat of CA, you mean while it's spinning. And what do you think about the BLO. It seems to keep the application pad from sticking.

Jeff

PTownSubbie

I haven't use BLO to know how it works. However, if your applicator is sticking, you are likely applying for too long a period. Try to apply for a shorter amount of time.

akbar24601

I just use a paper towel to apply my CA. I generally put my lathe on it's slowest speed, put the CA on the paper towel and typically give it 2 swipes L-R then R-L. Let it dry and do another the same way. You may want to go with just one swipe to leave a little thicker coating.

CaptainKarma

Old model building trick

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone here. I recieved a "Freedom Pen" last month and now can't wait to get home so I can talk the LOML into letting me buy some toys and join the ranks of pen turners.

I haven't had the chance to try this on pens, but it works great on plastic models. Put an first coat of CA or plastic based finish on the turned blank, then apply the decal, once the decal is in place but before it sets use a drop or two of "MicroSet" (you can find it at hobby shops) it will wick up under the decal an eat into the CA a little bit to cause the decal to counter sink. this should help prevent the next layers of finish from getting behind the decal and minimize any differences in thickness or build up over the decal.

hope this is useful

dexter0606

Thanks for all the help guys.
Followed all the advice and have attached a photo of my sample. Not perfect yet but not bad

Thanks again

Attachments

• Bridges1.jpg
    Bridges1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

reddwil

Jeff

I have made numerous pens with decals. On the first ones I done I had the same problems as you. I start with 3-4 coats of med. Ca followed by micro mesh. The trick I have learned is letting the decal cure and the ca cure at least 24 - 36 hours. I have tried using accelarator but its not the same as letting it cure on its own. At least for me. Its just like anything else in penturning, you gotta find what works best for you.

Top Bottom