finishing bullet casings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

Hi All,

I'm attempting my first shell casing pens and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to finish/seal the shell casing to help prevent/deter oxidation? I've read somewhere that clear powder coat works, but I have no way to do that...

Can you apply CA and finish as you would a regular pen? Will it seal it from the air?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

For what it is worth, I checked the phone book and found a local guy that does power coat professionally. He did 12 casings in exchange for a completed pen. It is such a small order, he through the casings in the oven with the other clear stuff he was doing and was not a big deal to him. Worked out well.

Steve

PaulDoug

I've read that the powder coating is the best. Ca will chip off eventually as will lacquer. I purchased a can of Rust-Oleum Speciality Lacquer that is suppose to be for metals. I don't know how long it will last, but it is the best I can do. I don't sell my so I just warn the receivers that it may wear off and to buy a can of brasso.

Texasbeachbum

I powder coated some clear glossy. At the end where the nib is after about a month turned green under the powder coat. I had to remove all the powder coat. Now I just tell them when I sell one that they have to clean them with brasso every so often.

cozee

Most hunters and gun enthusiasts will have no problem taking a little Brasso to their pen from time to time. And many may never, preferring the patina that develops. You are correct though, at the present, clear PC is the best way to go. It will yellow a highly polished casing a wee bit but they still look great.

When I do PC a casing, to make sure the edges are completely sealed, I do not plug the holes and then ream. the inside of the tube prior to installation of the nib and trannmission. And I make sure to gently seat the nib so as to not damage the PC on the casings mating edge.

Last edited:

reddwil

For what its worth, I make a lot of bullet pens. I tell people who buy them to polish them with a good brass polish. I have sold several with brass tarnishing, some folks like that look. I ave tried the rustolum clear, CA and just waxing them good. Nothing seems to work better than powder coating, but I don't access to anything like that. I've never had one come back or anyone complain about the tarnish look.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I use the powder coating gun that H.F. sells for $45.00. and an old toaster oven that I
have to heat it up. Works great and I find myself powder coating other things.

Top Bottom