Finishing Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

When doing a CA finish between centers and off of the bushings, what is the best way to get the run off CA off of the ends of the tubes? This is on a kit that I do not have a pilot shaft and end mill for. I can cut part of it off with an exacto knife, but have found that when holding the blank upright and sanding with 600 grit on a flat surface, you can still end up not always perpendicular to the tubes all the way around.

Any ideas from the folks that do a lot of center to center finishing?

Firefyter-emt

Ok, back up a bit.... Whay do you not have a sleeve for this kit? If you have a pen mill, just make a sleeve with a 7mm slimline tube so that it fits the larger tube. It takes minutes to make these and then you have them for good. I use a sander mill that I made on my metal lathe to make sand the ends perfectly flat and level any "dips" with the CA that flows over the edge before I put the bushings back in for final sanding.

Here is a couple of bad photos of my pen mill sander. This is used on my cordless drill which hangs on the peg board at my lathe. I use the drill for the pen mill and the sander. I find that the cordless drill works better than my drill press because I can really slow down the speed which is needed for the sander or even for spalted woods that you have to CA harden to mill it flat.

1111071.jpg

1111072.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom