Finishing Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

MY two cents......antler bone and ivory are or were living materials. I honestly think the skin oils from use is what keeps them from cracking. I have used a lot of antler and bone in other projects and it's the ones that see little or no use that end up with problems. It should be noted that I am very new to pen turning but I have been producing other goods in animal products for years. Also I think the feel of antler and bone is one of it's draws.......nothing like direct contact with 10,000 year old mammoth bone! I sand down to 4,000 then use plastic polish. I only use CA if I suspect the material has a problem spot and then only enough to stabilize the material. Antler, bone and ivory change as you handle it making it a living piece.

Jgrden

MY two cents......antler bone and ivory are or were living materials. I honestly think the skin oils from use is what keeps them from cracking. I have used a lot of antler and bone in other projects and it's the ones that see little or no use that end up with problems. It should be noted that I am very new to pen turning but I have been producing other goods in animal products for years. Also I think the feel of antler and bone is one of it's draws.......nothing like direct contact with 10,000 year old mammoth bone! I sand down to 4,000 then use plastic polish. I only use CA if I suspect the material has a problem spot and then only enough to stabilize the material. Antler, bone and ivory change as you handle it making it a living piece.
Nicely stated. :wink:

I used Tru Oil on one and its still looking great...

I didn't know what to use when I turned it, so I grabbed what I had.

I use Tru Oil on my turkey calls. Wears like iron and keeps a decent shine - not as tough as CA, but its also much easier/quicker.

Tim'sTurnings

I use Shellawax applied on the lathe as a friction polish. I don't know it is suggested for that use but it shines up very well after a few coats. I like it.
Tim.

Top Bottom