Finishing Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I just turned my first aluminum pen. Haven't assembled it yet. I was rummaging around and found a piece of 6061-T6 AL tubing that was perfect for making a simple slimline.

What's the feeling on finishing 6061? Anything simple I can use? I'm not going to go to the trouble of anodizing it.

Thanks,

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Do you even need to finish Al? Though I have heard of issues handling raw Al I believe it creates an oxide coating almost immediately.

I would sand to a high grit like 12,000, maybe use polishing compound, put on some wax and call it a day.

dogcatcher

I polish aluminum like acrylics, I sand through the grits and finally buff it using Eastwood's mag and aluminum wheel compounds, then wax it. The one finish I liked was from Eastwood, Eastwood Diamond Clear DTM and Painted Surfaces Aerosol

My favorite for aluminum and brass is the polishing as above and then "jeweling" the shiny surface. This video explains Jeweling https://youtu.be/U2ggYjdzfsg search "rifle bolt jeweling" for more information.

PatrickR

The OP didn't say what kind of finish he's going for but if its polished a finish is a must. Pick your poison, so to speak. VHT is a good product, but is intended for V.ery H.igh T.emperatures, most of those products require baking to reach max hardness.

The jewel finish (or engine-turning) would be difficult on compound curves. I've not seen it done on a pen. It would definitely require a finish to retain its looks on soft metals. It can be done simply by attaching a piece of cloth to the end of a doll-rod and twisting it between your palms.

ldb2000

Any finish you put on it will either scratch off or peel . the best finish is a high polish and some wax . I sand through the numbers than finish with white diamond polishing compound then some ren wax but any kind of wax will do . If you want a satin finish , finish as before but cut back the shine with some steel wool , it gives a nice durable satin finish .
I also give my customers a small bag of NevrDull wading and tell them to polish weekly

BKelley

I like aluminum, especially 6061-T6. It does have some drawbacks tho. It can leave black smudges on a white shirt and it will tarnish. For a bright mirror like finish, sand thru 12,000, then Walpole as mentioned, or I use Simichrome. For a satin finish try the maroon Scotch Brite. After achieving the degree of polish or sheen you desire a coat of Renaissance wax will help. Has anyone tried 7075-T6, if so, let us hear from you.

Ben

PatrickR

There are a number of direct to metal clears that are guaranteed to never chip or peel. Wax will require maintenance. Ok for some, but most people won't do it.
Powder coating is ideal but the only one I've used has a minimum.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If you talk real nice, they may run your blanks when they have a batch running in the color you want. In my case they charged me $11.00 for the two red blanks.

Top Bottom