Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodswood

I have been trying to figure out how to fill small cracks or very pores wood when I am trying to finish with a CA glue. Any advise? - Nathan -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

It depends on the depth of the crack.

For shallow cracks, it just involves using more CA. But just be sure that the CA has completely cured before any sanding. If not, you'll get white powder into the cracks, and it's really hard to get out. Sometimes it takes 20 or more coats to get a glass like finish.

For deep cracks, I use thick CA to fill the crack. But in either case, I start with a layer or 2 of thin. I did a piece of cracked olive that had cracks all the way to the brass. It seemed like I used about an ounce of CA on that pen. It took forever, but it sure looked good in the end.

Last edited:

ctubbs

On open pored wood like Oak, I sand with 600 and thin CA as a final sanding before the finish. The dust and CA fill the holes and level the blank. If you are working with a light colored wood, do not use the dark sand paper or you will leave dark spots in the open pores that will not come out, period.
Charles

Woodswood

So is thin CA glue better use for filling cracks or thick CA glue? And is CA glue the best thing to use for a high gloss finish?

BSea

So is thin CA glue better use for filling cracks or thick CA glue? And is CA glue the best thing to use for a high gloss finish?
My personal preference is to always use a few coats of thin as a base. It won't fill cracks, but it will seal the wood. Especially porous wood. Then use either thick or medium to fill the cracks. I rarely use thick anymore. Just for deep wider cracks.

And as far as a glossy shine, it may very well be the best. I haven't used anything else for a glossy shine, so I don't really know. However, I think there probably isn't anything more durable. And a pen that's used everyday should be durable.

raar25

I use thin CA dripped on a piece of 220 grit sand paper worked into a slurry with the lathe running slow speed. I usually build up a little pile of saw dust on the paper firat and do not dwell in any one spot.

Then let it cure and sand it down to remove all of the shiny surface.

kovalcik

I have two things I use on open grain wood. I have a sample size of Mylands cellulose sanding sealer which works well. I wet sand with it using 320 or 400 grit.

My other solution is to wet sand with BLO again with 320 or 400. Both methods seem to work with my CA finish with no problems.

Justturnin

If they are big cracks it is time to accent them. Maybe an contrasting woods shavings, Instant Coffee, metal shavings, Inlace so may options. If you just want to fill them I would do a couple coats of Thin CA thenstart coating in thick. Be careful not to let it pool or it could turn white as it dries.

Top Bottom