Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_Junior

I have only been turning wood pens and use Mylands Friction Polish to finish them. I want to order some razor kits to turn and was wondering if the Mylands will be water resistant enough to use as a finish for a razor handle. Has anyone tried the Mylands on a razor handle? I don't want to get into CA finish quite yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have serious reservations about using wood for a razor handle, no matter what the finish. I wouldn't even use CA.

Suggest you try acrylic but it sounds like you haven't been game to do that yet.

Give Alumilite a try ... you'll pay $7 - $10 for a blank but you can get 2 razor handles out of that. Alumilite is really easy to turn and it polishes up quite nicely.

Curly

If you aren't ready to play with CA then skip the wood and try some acrylic or other plastics. No water issues and tons and tons of blanks to pick from.

Ah! Mal got to you first. Great minds think alike and all that muck. :)

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mylands is a polish, not a protectorate. There are other polishes along with Mylands that do well for wood finishes where the wood itself is the focus. However, on pens and items that are held by hand daily and subject to humidity of pockets or in the case of razors, the humidity of wet hands, Mylands does not protect from that. Hand grim begins to show up in 6 months like a well used kitchen cabinet edge when it is not cleaned. Fine furniture does not get this kind of handling. In cases where it is not handled daily from grime or wet palms, such as a dresser or work of art such as a turned vase, Friction polish does well.

penmaker1967

I use poly on mine and it does very well I put around 8 to 10 coats on the handle and then polish and it has held up very well for me

magpens

I use poly on mine and it does very well I put around 8 to 10 coats on the handle and then polish and it has held up very well for me

Is that specifically for razor handles ?

Please give the full name of the "poly", and also the brand name. Thanks.

papaturner

I have serious reservations about using wood for a razor handle, no matter what the finish. I wouldn't even use CA.

Suggest you try acrylic but it sounds like you haven't been game to do that yet.

Give Alumilite a try ... you'll pay $7 - $10 for a blank but you can get 2 razor handles out of that. Alumilite is really easy to turn and it polishes up quite nicely.

I felt the same way Mal so I made myself a razor about 3 years ago using Cocobolo with a CA finish. It still looks good.

I still prefer Plastic of some sort but I will make a wood razor when someone ask.

Just my view.

southernclay

I made myself a shaving set out of Argentine Lignum Vitae in January this year, no finish at all and held up great. We'll see what the years do to it. One of the few woods I would try it with. Anything else and CA seems like about the only way to go.

Rick_G

I made a razor and brush from Teak about 4 years ago, used CA as a finish and it looks as good as it did the day I made it. I figure if Teak is good enough for ships it should last well as a razor handle, especially if dryed after each use. Also soaked the ends in thin CA so it soaked into the end grain and sealed that.

low_48

penmaker1967

sorry that's what happens when u get in a hurry and not read what u are typing. I use the minwax brand and I wipe it on with a clean cloth.

Top Bottom