Finished pen - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I am thankful for Len's reply. I respect the dedication of our colleagues to excellent photography - I really do, and I am always trying to improve my own...but there must be a photography forum, right? I keep spending money on light tents and such, and spending time testing, but guess what? I would rather be making pens!

Jeff - That is a beauty. Make another pen. Make a million pens. You did a good job. Congratulations.
(Or...sell your lathe, buy a camera and find a different forum.) :)
Gregory Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's really a GREAT PEN!
(For what ever it may be worth to you, brother, I will give some unsolicited advice. I don't think so well of my self or my work that I need other people to pat me on the back. I don't make art. I build tools. The "art' is what people do with my pens. I would say the same thing if I was a hammer maker. I do work hard to make nice pens, to make pens as beautiful as I am able - that's the craftsman in me. When I finish a pen, the first thing I do is write the words, "I love you," on a scrap of paper to make sure my tool will serve the owner well. Advice? Write, "I love you," with your pens and keep right on going, no matter what anyone says. You'll be a happier man and a VERY satisfied craftsman.")

Not for nothing, but I liked the photograph. :)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg230 View Post
Very nice! Did you make the bowl also?
yes I made the bowl also,,made out of walnut and cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

VERY good job on the shape of the pen. You absolutely nailed the flow of the curve coming up off the nib.
Bikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

like the looks and the shape, hope my first one comes out that good, heck maybe the next on or the next one, be proud of it.
Pen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Hardy View Post
It's really a GREAT PEN!
(For what ever it may be worth to you, brother, I will give some unsolicited advice. I don't think so well of my self or my work that I need other people to pat me on the back. I don't make art. I build tools. The "art' is what people do with my pens. I would say the same thing if I was a hammer maker. I do work hard to make nice pens, to make pens as beautiful as I am able - that's the craftsman in me. When I finish a pen, the first thing I do is write the words, "I love you," on a scrap of paper to make sure my tool will serve the owner well. Advice? Write, "I love you," with your pens and keep right on going, no matter what anyone says. You'll be a happier man and a VERY satisfied craftsman.")

you know im not a master pen builder or photographer and I certainly didn't make my living at making pens,,,or hustling them to make ends meet,,,and I certainly am not trying to boast on it or as you put it be patted on the back,,but I thought that was what this forum was about ,,talking with different people and asking questions to try to learn,,instead of having some rude person as yourself to make nasty comments about someone or a picture they put up,,,i have always been taught,,if you cant say something good about someone or something,,,,KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3285 View Post
Quote:
It's really a GREAT PEN!

you know im not a master pen builder or photographer and I certainly didn't make my living at making pens,,,or hustling them to make ends meet,,,and I certainly am not trying to boast on it or as you put it be patted on the back,,but I thought that was what this forum was about ,,talking with different people and asking questions to try to learn,,instead of having some rude person as yourself to make nasty comments about someone or a picture they put up,,,i have always been taught,,if you cant say something good about someone or something,,,,KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!
I like the pen and couldn't care less about the photo quality.

However, I am at a complete loss as to how you found this rude. The man literally said keep going regardless of what anyone may say about your photography.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3285 View Post
Quote:
It's really a GREAT PEN!

I like the pen and couldn't care less about the photo quality.

However, I am at a complete loss as to how you found this rude. The man literally said keep going regardless of what anyone may say about your photography.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Oh, dear - If I offended you, I'm sorry, Jeff. I agree with you one hundred percent - that is what this forum is for, to talk and learn and ask questions. If I communicated poorly, I apologize. The comment by Wagner 11 above is spot on: I was trying to say, "Keep going regardless of what anyone says about your photography." If you read further above, you'll see that I said good things about the pen (and photo), and I meant them. Sometimes people get so absorbed in their photography that they stop looking at the pens. Your photograph showed a great pen, and that's all I wanted to say. Best wishes, and Happy New Year. -Greg
Gregory Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vendor Liaison

This is a good point to remind everyone that what we say as 'tongue in cheek' might not be perceived to be thus when read by others...just something for all of us to keep in mind! :)

Andrew
assistant moderator

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."

Last edited by maxwell_smart007; 12-29-2017 at 12:04 PM.
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2 View Post
So because of the photo complaint issue, I don't post pics of my pens or my bowls. It is much better that I don't for the group, because people would be put off with my remarks, when I tell them what they could do with their photo remarks. It is much better, that I keep what I turn to myself. If I didn't, I have the feeling that I would be considered personna non gratis here on the site.

Len
Len,

I agree with everything you said about photography, and people's comments. I disagree with the part I quoted, and this goes along with what you were saying. I WANT to see your work. I don't care about the photography, but I love seeing the creativity. It fuels my own. I believe if people are feeling they can't post pictures of their work, it really takes away from the function of the forum.

Just my .02 cents
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads