Finished Jarrah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Here is the finished product. Hope you like it.
Harry

20053311249_jarrah2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice pen Harry, I bought a bunch of Jarrah burl long time ago, it is all PURPLE. Yours had a nice red tone like amboyna. Very sharp.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK Harry, tells us about embossing powder,,, what is it, where can you get it, how fine is it.. and most importantly, HOW DO YOU USE IT...
From the look of that pen, I think I really need to try some... Like I don't have enough ideas rattling around inside my head... OH all that empty space and nothing to fill it with.. LOL

JimGo

Wow, nice pen! That came out GREAT!

Tom, embossing powder can be found in most craft stores; I found it in our local AC Moore in the scrapbooking section. It is a very fine powder that, as its name implies, is used to create raised images. Here's some info:
http://www.weddingclipart.com/guide/scrapbooking-embossing-wedding-album.html

And here's a page for custom colors and effects:
http://www.rubberstampsclub.com/tips/embossing-powder-recipes.html

I'm curious how the heat from applying a Friction Polish or sanding impacts it when used in a pen; since it is supposed to expand when heated, I'm a little concerned about cracking. From what I've seen, people are "simply" using CA to affix it in the pen's cracks, but I'd be curious to get Harry's feedback on what he did.

knottyharry

Hi Griz,
I'll tell you what I can about the embossing powder.
It is very fine. And I do apply it with THIN, CA. The thicker doesn't seem to work as well. Sometimes I have to apply it a couple of times to get the effect I want. I just put a little more glue on it and sprinkle the powder on it. Save the the extra powder and put it back in the bottle. I do it on a piece of waxed paper.
In it's original use it was used on the back of envelopes as a seal.
Then you would heat it and it turns to a raised plastic design.
I think it is a very fine ground plastic.
The heat from sanding, etc. sets it up real nice. You have to sand it a little though to get it worked back to where you want it. It's kind of like sanding on acrylics...so don't over heat it.
What I have worked with so far I like.
And i'm certainly open to suggestions from anyone else who has used it.
It comes in a variety of colors. Some with glitter. Give it a try and see what you think.
Let me know how it comes out.
Harry

knottyharry

Also, where to get it. Michaels, AC Moore, abut any craft store. You can find it online.
What I said about using it on the back of envelopes may be wrong.
You use it with rubber stamps with designs on them. You would wet the stamp with the liquid they use, sprinkle the powder on it. Shake off the excess, and then heat it with a special little heat gun they use.
But I don't use the heat gun. Just let it dry and sand it.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom