Finished First Attempt @ PC Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowb46

8 Photos in all

Well, finally got my lathe on Tuesday and ended up turning 3 pens by Friday. My third pen was the Polymer Clay blank I had posted here earlier, with a Gatsby pen kit. I have a few issue yet to correct when putting together the clay on the blank, like:
  1. not leaving it too proud of the bushings
  2. make sure the cane slices are THINNER!
  3. use or make bushings to guage the thickness of the clay on the brass tube (made some bushings for Slimline out of maple and CA'd them, will have to see how they work)
  4. etc....
All in all, I'm very happy with my first attempt. My 10 year old daughter really wants this pen bad. Oh, she is an encouragement to me. And yes I know, I didn't show you the other side of the pen....that was intentional.:biggrin:

Thanks to all for the suggestions on my previous post, they ARE VERY helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

And another one slips over to the dark side. Welcome. Very nice work. I can see why your daughter wants it. Just give it to her and make another one :) or two, or...

roy leyva

Looking better...I am sure that you will put a "polish" on your work as a few more get done. I have not tried on the 7 mm slimline only because I would really have to reduce my canes! I would suggest perhaps ordering some butterfly canes or humm-birds, as I use them to fill in the final gaps between flower placement. Just a suggestion, Todd, to make full coverage less of a challenge. Great effort, Sir. rvl

navycop

I was looking at making some PC pens for mothers day (I know it is a ways off but I will start practicing).
Is this made out of the "whole cane" or just a "slice" cut off and rolled?

Rangertrek

Look like you are off to a good start. Don't forget to use the bushing as a guide and check final sizes with a caliper.

Delrin (plastic) also makes good sanding and ca bushings.

Top Bottom