Finished checkerboard results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Well, to continue my checkerboard quest, I turned this one this morning.. It is still drying so it will be a week still, but I thought I would post it up while it is drying. The wood is maple & walnut. The next one may be entirely checkerboard, I have not decided. I need to try to plan out the blank a little better so the ends are a little more even too.

checkerboard-blank.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Aside from the imbalance on the ends, it looks great! You're making me think I might want to give this a try! [:D]

mick

Nice job Lee, I really like doing the segmented pens and they are fast becoming some of my best sellers. I left you a post on the one about your drill press. Hope it helps.
Try it Jim, if an old country boy like me can do it ........a citified lawyer like you can too..........lol. Besides it's a lot of fun!

Firefyter-emt

Yea, it was a Dangit moment when the "extra" turned off the blank down to the pen mill depth..I like to leave some extra because I use gorilla glue.. I will try tolay the next one out better. It I had some blackwood, a nice band at the top would of been a nice touch to fit that smaller band at the top

BigRob777

Lee,
Nice work. I never even considered having to make the ends even. Are the barrels cross-cut? I can't see how the pen blank goes together, if they aren't cut off and laid side to side, with the end grain being turned. Anyway, if you need blackwood, let me know. I have plenty.
Rob
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15047

Firefyter-emt

I started by milling 2 blanks exactly the same on my band saw. I then marked the center of each on and ripped them in half (alanong the grain) I then gluedone maple and one walnut togather. Once dry I ripped it agan, flipped them and reglued it a second time. This gave me the 4 strips you see in the photo. Then I set a stop on my band saw sled to a 1/4" and sliced them off. Due to a poor drill press I set up my drill fence and drilled each one by it self and then built the blank on a brass tube mounted on a 1/4" threaded rod with and nut and washer - blank - washer and nut. The nice thing was it was simple to lin eit up and I was able to use the rod & nuts to "clamp" the blank tight to dry. There were no gaps or wide joints at all. The blank in the photo I posted will a new one that is all checker board, but I may make a thin for it center band.. Or it may be a cigar pen, the slimline may stink keeping the pattern lined up.

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Lee,
Nice work. I never even considered having to make the ends even. Are the barrels cross-cut? I can't see how the pen blank goes together, if they aren't cut off and laid side to side, with the end grain being turned. Anyway, if you need blackwood, let me know. I have plenty.
Rob
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15047

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom