finish for stabilized wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't gotten a reply to this. You might try asking again in the Finishing forum. One of the Op's might move it there, too.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In order to provide an answer, more information is needed. How did you stabilize the cobs? What is the final step you have taken prior to finishing. If you have a smooth resinous surface, you can finish it exactly like the other resins...wet sanding though MM12000 or whatever your desire is for appearance, followed by a swirl remover if there are any annoying swirls remaining in your finished pen.

timdaleiden

I think the problem may be nobody has ever turned a resin stabilized cob here. I have seen a lot of CA stabilized cobs here.

I think River Ridge Products just started selling these.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Eagle has stabilized his with an acetone/plexiglass resin--unless I'm mistaken. He also found some magic stuff for polishing, but I can't find the post. I bet he chimes in when he reads this.

Steve White

Most of you guys and gals probably know a lot more about finishing than I do. I just stabilize the stuff. But if you are talking about polymer resin stabilized corn cob, I would say finish it like any other stabilized wood. The woody ring surrounding the pith is similar to a softwood. On the cobs I turned for sample pens I used a lacquer based friction polish.

One suggestion for durability- Consider a foaming type (gorilla glue) glue to bond your tubes. I found that the very porous center pith can be somewhat crumbly after stabilization. I think the foaming type glue may do a better job of filling porous areas. I found that with CA glue spots on the surface would indent or flex because areas of poorly bonded pith beneath gave way (or compressed?). Regards Steve River Ridge Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom