Finial Twist Sierra Sized Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

Hello,

I have a question about finial twist pens. I am looking to pick a model pen as my go-to pen for giving away to friends, co-workers, etc. I really like the Sierra type shape/size but not the pen itself, i gave away 7 of them at Christmas and have had nothing but problems with them. 2 of the transmissions broke, could be over tightening by the individual, and all of the springs seem to get stuck down in the tip and do not come out with the cartridge.

As a result I really think I want to find a different pen, but stay in the same basic shape and price range. So far here are the best options that I have found

1. Elegant Royale from Smitty
2. Le Roi V2, also from Smitty
3. Glacia by Berea, really like the look of the pen but HATE the decorative ring at the finial.

If anyone out there has any other recommendations, or comments on the pens that I have selected please let me know.

At the same time I would also like to have a go-to supplier for a decent "slimline" and roller ball as well as the "sierra" style. So for that reason I am kind of leaning towards Smitty. I like the look of the Creekside and the Caballero does not look too bad either.

Any opinions on the quality of Smitty's pens would also be greatly welcome.

The other 2 suppliers that I would be looking into using are Exotic Blanks and Woodturningz.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I like the Majestic Squire (tho it is a 3/8 tube rather than the Sierra's 27/64ths), I'm pretty sure you can get that at Exotics and a few other vendors... The Aero by Craft Supply is a another different size tube 23/64ths) and a bit smaller of a pen, but I like them very much too.

At the same time, I've made a LOT of Berea's Sierra pen kits and not had any of the problems you mention. The Sierra type pen kit is made by several manufacturers and sold in slight variations by nearly all pen kit vendors (there are some differences in the inner workings, but most differences are in the trim rings and other minor issues...

Fish30114

I've made quite a few of Smitty's Le Roi V2 and like them well. I can't speak to long term durability cause I haven't been making them long enough to offer viable feedback. I have also made several of the Le Roi Elegant Major, and like the Le Roi V2 it seems like a decent kit, and it definitely makes a handsome pen.

I will ad that like the other poster I have built a bunch of Sierra kits, mostly Berea kits from Ed at Exotic blanks, or from Ernie at Beartooth woods, and I also have not had any of the issues you described, in fact quite the opposite, in my experience, the Sierra is a solid go to kit, that looks nice, and is very durable and simple, again IME. I do really like the finial twist on Smitty's entries into the marketplace with the Le Roi stuff--I'm sure he could weigh in about the relative quality of his kits, I will say I have had more than one source tell me his kits are from China, not Taiwan--which would generally indicate lower quality--just FYI.
And of course if you just want a chrome like option, the Liberty from LaseLinez is certainly a great option being made here in Georgia, and being 100% stainless steel, buffed to a polished finish--I wish Constant would start offering some different plated versions--of course, I don't know what is involved in plating stainless.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you end up settling on.

Last edited:

magpens

Are you interested in finial twist only ? My comments below are more general ... hope you don't mind.

I am sorry to hear you have had trouble with some Sierra style pens. I have been making them for 5 years and not had any problems. Frankly, I now stay away from the dome-top original Sierra simply because I don't like the styling but I have had no functional problems with them.

I favor the flat top Berea products, particularly their Elegant Sierra (with the flat top) and the Sierra Elegant Beauty ( flat top with titanium alloy platings). You might check a current Berea offering at this URL:

Sierra® Elegant Beauty Black Titanium and Titanium Gold Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Bear Tooth Woods has a very good selection of Berea products, or you can buy directly from Berea as well.

I have also had good success with the Woodturningz Mesa version of the Sierra style ( which is almost the same as the original dome-top Sierra); but, as I said, I now avoid the dome-top style.

The Zodiac, exclusively from Exoticblanks, is a very competitive variant of the Elegant Sierra with the flat top and has a unique styling with zodiac symbols on the band.

I have had good success with the Napoleon kit from William Woodwrite in Canada, which is flat top barrel twist with a crystal mounted on the clip. Smitty sells a similar pen kit with finial twist and he calls it the Le Roi Elegant Major which he sells for $17.99.

The Majestic Squire also has a crystal on the clip, but I don't like the Majestic Squire because of its extremely stiff and inflexible clip. Otherwise the styling is very attractive and it has a smooth finial twist.

I hope these personal comments are helpful. Please let us know what you eventually choose ... I would be very interested.

Last edited:

builtbybill

thanks for all of the information...this is going to be a tough decision. I will not lie, what I like most about the Le Roi line is definitely the price, $30 for 6 Elegant Royales, plus I really like their look with the longer barrel and shorter tip. A lot like the Polaris, which nobody has any mention of.

As for the mechanism "failures" on the Sierra's it was that the threads broke off inside the tip, the mechanisms themselves still work just no threads to screw onto. I bought them at our local Klingspor's so I honestly do not know who made them.

toddlajoie

I like the Polaris/Atlas pens, but I see them as very different from the Sierra Series. They certainly show more material, as the tube is MUCH longer and the nib is MUCH smaller, but it is also a larger (thicker diameter) pen, and while they are my wife's favorite pen, and you can do a LOT more with them from a profile standpoint (the sierras IMO do not look good with a lot shaping to their body material)... I think in the end, their clips are such different animals, and I prefer the clip on the Sierras (or the elegant variety even more as was mentioned earlier)

builtbybill

Smitty's it is

Well I think that I have made up my mind - current plan is to give LeRoy a shot. Plan to order the Elegant Royale starter kit plus a LeRoi V2, Creekside and Caballero and give them a shot. Like I said I just need some go-to pens that I can be familiar with and have trust in.

I only give them away so even though there might be better pens I need to find a balance of quality, features and price and I believe the LeRoi pens might be just that. I will obviously still "need" high end and specialty kits for those special occasions. Anyone that wants me to make a specific pen is always able to pay for a kit, and the required bushings, and I will make it for them...notice I did not say sell it to them. The only time I have ever "sold" a pen was by charging like $3 more than the kit/blank cost, and that was just to cover the finishing supplies.

Thanks for all of you guidance, and I will let you know how things turn out. Should also be able to give decent reviews of durability of the pens because working as a maintenance technician on a pharmaceutical production line can be pretty rough on a pen.

Bill

Top Bottom