Fingergrip chisel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I bought a fingergrip chisel from PSI and would like some input/suggestions on using it correctly. Apparently the concern is not going too deep. As such, I'm guesstimating that using it on the slims might be tricky. Also, here's a NuB ?
When is it used? How is the area sanded/finished without destroying the beads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Hi Kooster,
I have one of the finger grip chisels. At the time it sounded neat. Now, I don't use it much. It works very well. You can cut grooves as a recess or as a raised effect by cutting the grooves and then turning the blank a bit smaller on the ends of your grip cut. Plan ahead so you do not go below bushing size.
It works on flat surfaces as well as convex. Just rock it from side to side while cutting on the curved surface. You can also use this and continue cutting more grooves on down the line.
Sanding...Very carefully with small pieces of sandpaper folded and follow the shape of the beads. Just like sanding a much larger bead.
As for cutting too deep, Think three times, measure twice, cut once. If you cut too deep, you will have brass accents in the bottom of the grooves!

I have used this as an actual finger grip or moved on up the pen for an ornamental detail. You may want to finish with an oil finish or friction polish with all the grooves. With CA, Probably use thin only(as not to fill the grooves) and that sanding the CA would be a bear in the grooves.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

kooster

Thanks for the added tips and the info on the chisel. I'm a NuB so I'm not familiar with sanding any sort of bead(s) yet. Is this something that is done with the lathe running or stopped. Do I follow the gammit of the sanding grits as I normally would? And, I know this may sound strange, but would the brass accents actually look really nice on the right kind of blank??? Or perhaps darken them?
Thanks again for your input . The ideas were very informative and I'll give them a try.

Tim'sTurnings

If you are down to the brass with one of the fingergrip chisels then that means you have a very small ring of wood/acrylic. I would think it would be very prone to chip out and be gone.
I have one of these chisels but have not tried it yet. But I am sure you would NOT want to go through to the brass.

kooster

Could you fill the gaps and create 3 accent bands of various materials/colors?

Top Bottom