Finger Groove Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I saw a video where a tool was used to make 4 equidistant grooves just above the nib.

Been trying to find that tool but the closest I have come is Benjamin's Best (PSI) #LCMBEAD8, but it makes 9 grooves.

Any one know where I can get one that makes 4 grooves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

You could buy the one you mentioned and grind off the other 5 "groove makers"... or cut the thing in half and then you'd have 2, one that does 4 and one that does 5. May not be reasonable, just throwing ideas out there.

seawolf

Make your own. A piece of steel, a set if jewlers files, and a saw. All of the proto type tools used to be done by hand. some still are. Plus you get that warm fuzzy feeling when you can say " I did That".
Mark

titan2

Robert Taylor

i've been waiting for warm weather to get to some local flea markets. looking for the cutting dies for pipe threaders. ussually see them cheap. each would make four grooves after adding a handle.

KenBrasier

I saw finger groove tool and decided that being a cheap sort of guy, I could make my own. I used a cut-off piece of 12 tpi sabersaw blade in a pair of vice-grips on a turned scrap of wood and it worked pretty well. Now I am refining it by making a nice handle and re-filing the blade to get a cleaner cut.

Penl8the

Hi Larry,

Here is how I do it.

The pdf file contains 3 pages of parallel lines. On page 2 you will find, 6 lines, 0.60" apart. I like this configuration the best.

There are 12 groups of these lines. I just cut 1 group, tape it on the back of a business. When you are ready to make the grooves, do the following:

• while the lathe is still running, bring the "business card" as close to the blank as you can
  • use a sharp pencil to scribe the blank using the parallel lines as guide
  • after scribing, you should end up with n-number of circles on the blank
  • now use a skew to carve the groves or use a wire burner to burn some "rings"
This picture show you can vary the equidistant by "slanting the lines".

equidistanceparallellin.jpg

The parallel grooves on this bamboo slimeline was made from this process.

bambooslimlinewithparal.jpg

Any one know where I can get one that makes 4 grooves?

Attachments

• equidistance parallel lines pen making(2010-01-14).pdf
    10 KB · Views: 302

larryc

Hi Larry,

Here is how I do it.

The pdf file contains 3 pages of parallel lines. On page 2 you will find, 6 lines, 0.60" apart. I like this configuration the best.

There are 12 groups of these lines. I just cut 1 group, tape it on the back of a business. When you are ready to make the grooves, do the following:

• while the lathe is still running, bring the "business card" as close to the blank as you can
  • use a sharp pencil to scribe the blank using the parallel lines as guide
  • after scribing, you should end up with n-number of circles on the blank
  • now use a skew to carve the groves or use a wire burner to burn some "rings"
This picture show you can vary the equidistant by "slanting the lines".

equidistanceparallellin.jpg

The parallel grooves on this bamboo slimeline was made from this process.

Now that is not only thinking outside the box - it is thinking in another box.
Great idea Branden. Thanks a lot.:cool:

Penl8the

Hi Larry,

You are welcome.

I forgot to mention there is an "oops option" with this methodology. After you scribe/transfer the lines to the blank and if you see there are lines that are not "equal distance", you can erase the lines and start the process over again.

Once you are satisfied that the lines are parallel, then bring out the skew.

Now that is not only thinking outside the box - it is thinking in another box.
Great idea Branden. Thanks a lot.:cool:

Top Bottom