Fine Point Fountain Pen Nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcbrow

Hi. I'm just getting into turning and I'm interested in turning a few fountain pens for personal use. The thing is, I like fine point nibs, and all the kits come with medium nibs.

I see that CSUSA has some replacement nibs in Fine (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4092) as well as other nib sizes. These are fairly inexpensive, so my quesition is how are these nibs in terms of writing? Do they work well, write smoothly, etc.

Also, if I decided -- eventually -- to do a pen with a 14k nib, how do I get fine point? All of the replacement nibs I've seen are medium? Are there resources that will explain how to regrind it into a fine point? Is this incredibly difficult?

Thanks for any help.

--Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

I love the fine point nibs in the junior size kits. Like a skater on ice.

Also, I like the fine point nibs in some of the Berea kits.

And I used to be like Charlie Brown with a fountain pen (AAAUUUGGGHHH!).

But I can write with one now.

gerryr

The first fountain pen I made for myself was a Jr. Gents and I used the stock nib. I thought it wrote just fine, no problems. Then I ruined it by dropping it in the sink, so I decided to get one of Anthony's 14K nibs and was amazed at how much easier it was to write with. Anthony's nibs are all medium. Richard Binder can turn them into fine. www.richardspens.com

And, welcome to the IAP.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Regrinding points is not something the average hobbyist can do. It requires a great deal of skill and probably some specialized tools.

You are definitely right, Randy.

Richard Binder is one of the best around at regrinding and shaping nibs. He touched up a fine nib I bought from him to write even more fine due to the cheap government paper I write on, and it writes like a dream!

Scott

Hi Dave!

A good fine nib is a joy to use! Too bad they're so rare! [8D]

In answer to your question about gold nibs, try this place:

http://www.nibs.com/KitPenNibs.htm

He gets some of Anthony's nibs, and then for an extra fee he can modify it to a fine for you. Expensive, I know, but if it's what you need, it's what you need!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom