Final (?) rec request re: tool rest & adjust mandr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

Hopefully this will be my last request. I am wanting opinions on two last things. I imagine there probably isn't a strong difference among these items from different companies but just want to be sure.

First, I am planning to buy a tool rest, above and beyond the one that came with my lathe. I have looked at the 6 inch tool rest and corresponding posts from woodcraft, CSUSA and Packard. The prices at Packard and CSUSA are within a dollar of each other and the woodcraft one is about $10 more for the actual rest and about $3 cheaper for the post. But that's a minor difference that doesn't matter. But is there a difference in quality that people know of?

My other dilemma is about an adjustable mandrel (as CSUSA calls it) or a professional mandrel (as woodcraft calls it) or "std" manual as Packard calls it. Again, all are within about $5 in price, and all three are what I'm looking for in terms of being able to adjust the mandrel length using the collet system, but are people aware of a difference in quality or other features among these three? I know I've read people's opinion about not even using the mandrel and preferring the chuck system, but if you're going to stick with the mandrel system (since it would be a fairly substantial cost difference to switch to the chuck system), are there diffferences b/w these three mandrels?

Thanks so much to everyone for being patient with a beginner and being so willing to answer questions! I know that sometimes people mention that prior discussions have been posted on the same subjects that someone might ask about again. I hope I'm not duplicating too much. I seem to be impaired when it comes to using the search function for some reason. I tried to do a search about the whole chuck system and figured I'd be overwhelmed with too many results, but only got a few, and so I'm sure I was missing posts, but couldn't manage to find them w/a search- I found enough to get the difference, but it just seemed like only in last few weeks of just going to the furm and scanning each day's topics, I'd seen more about the issue than I found with a search!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Use your basic set for awhile before you go buying extras you may never use or need. Just jump in and turn some pens like everybody else. Check out all the catalogs and every tool show and store in your neighbor hood, where ever that is, check out all the yard sales and newspaper classified ads. You may find all the extras at a better price and make new friends that have lots of wood! Play awhile before you get too serious about this! After all, when this addiction takes over complete control of your mind and body, you'll be spending all your free time and money on turning square stuff into round stuff! You can't buy all the toys today anyway unless you're very wealthy! So slow down and enjoy.[:p][;)]

Rudy Vey

I would not spend money on the adjustable mandrels - been there, done that. I was pretty disappointed. Get yourself the drill driver system from Berea, or use one of the fixed mandrel systems. Toolrest, do a search here, one of our members was offering custom-made tool rests and posts some time ago. These items were top notch quality, they were much cheaper and much better what you can buy from either Woodcraft ot Craftsupply.

Rifleman1776

For extra or specialized tool rests, just go to your friendly welding shop and have whatever you want made. I paid $10.00 each for mine. They are made of cold rolled steel for the post and angle iron for the rest. Some get round cold rolled for the 'T' rest part. That's a matter of personal preference. At ten bucks each you can have several made to meet your needs at the cost of one from the mail order houses.

Rudy Vey

I paid $ 26.50 for a 3.5" and 6" tool rest with one post, made from Stainless Steel, rests can be exchanged easily (when you turn only one barrel at a time, I use the short rest for the larger pens like El Grandes, Baron, Gents jr, here I always turn on part at a time).
The rest as well as the post are made from round material (1"), and the price of $26.50 included shipping, can't beat this!!
Just a happy customer!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />I found his name:
"swoodwrkng" is his IAP name, search for him here and sent him an e-mail through here.
This is Lamar Sherrill out of North Carolina (SWOODWRKNG "AT" AOL.COM) and I've bought several sizes of rests from him. The quality is fantastic. I got the 3", 4" and 6" round, steel rests plus a post (the rests are interchangeable) for less than $30 including shipping. I'm extremely happy with them.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />This is Lamar Sherrill out of North Carolina (SWOODWRKNG "AT" AOL.COM) and I've bought several sizes of rests from him. The quality is fantastic. I got the 3", 4" and 6" round, steel rests plus a post (the rests are interchangeable) for less than $30 including shipping. I'm extremely happy with them.

Does he have a website?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Two 5/8ths blots from Lowes($about $2.50)
And a hundred dollar HArbor freight welder and I had a tool rest.
The wire feed welder has paid for itself on mobile tool stands alone.
Surely a high school shop could help you out here.

jwoodwright

Eagle, the ones Lamar makes are threaded and have a brass "saddle" that cradles the "tool rest"... thus, you can add different lengths. Plus it's Hardened Steel, stress relieved... Your tools just slide right along.

Making your own tool stands and equipment is just plain smart and shows how creative you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom