Filling Voids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

I saw it posted on here somewhere, but can someone educate me on filling voids or adding turquoise to blanks. Is it a powder you mix up? whats the product used called?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsmith

There are powders and gels that some big guys sell that are made for doing this, but in general it is just pulverized stone. A few members here sell it in powdered and granulated form. Basically, the voids are filled with the stone powder, packed down tight, a bit of thin CA to soak in and stabilize, repeat as necessary, then finish turning and sand...There are as many "proper" ways of doing this as there are people doing it, but basically, fill, glue, finish. However you decide to do it, it's just crushed stone.

olsenla

In the library, Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) has a video on embellishments and inlay. I think it is video #4. It details the available products and how to apply some.

Larry

Mac

I use a coffee grinder to grind my crushed stone up smaller. Gilmer rock shop is a good choice. You can also use charcoal new or used works great for black. I have mixed with epoxy and also have filled with material and then used thin CA for instant results.

Top Bottom