filling voids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

I know I've seen this topic addressed before - but I recall an answer that involved mixing the dark shavings (dust) from turning with epoxy and using that to fill voics in wood. I would like to try that - but I'm wondering if I am misremembering - was it using dark shavings/dust or was it using something else to create a dark color?

Best,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Dark shavings work great. You can also pack the void (if small enough) and apply thin CA.

Another method that Curtis posted is to cast the blank with voids with colored resin. I think he used alumalite tinted/colored black.

DocRon

Roger. I have used dried coffee grounds for voids in bowls. I think Ihave to grind them up a little finer to use on a small object like a pen blank, but it should work OK. Just glue them in with CA.

Russb

For black I use powdered artists charcoal with either CA or epoxy.You can use powdered artists pigment for color but they can be very expensive. Use key grindings from the hardware store for metallic look.

mick

I just finished two pens that required filling voids. One was a Buckeye Burl which I intentionally enlarged some voids and actually created one or two. To fill these I used crushed Turquoise packed into the voids and set in place with thin CA. The other was a Spalted Tamarind which was also wormy. To fill the worm holes I used my skew held almost perpendicular to the blank and shaved off a good amount of fine "dust". I packed this into the holes and covered with a drop of thin CA. Even thought the dust was lighter colored it turns darker than the surrounding lighter wood when "wet" with the CA. I've found this dark brown look is a better contrast to the lighter wood than using black or a dark filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom