Filling void in alt. ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I turned a blank for a lotus fountain pen from alt ivory. It took me two six inch long rods to make one pen. It was very hard turning it. I finally turned it as far as i thought i could and sanded it the rest of the way.

It looks great. But... when I finished polishing it and held it up to the light i noticed I could barely see part of the tube near the end of one blank. Upon inspection I noticed (which i didn't when I started turning it) a very small space or void between the ivory and the brass tube. Like the hole was messed up or the drill bit wobbled. What can I do to fill that in and save the blank. Other than that small problem the blank is about perfect and it was hard getting the alt ivory to that point. Can I mix some alt ivory dust with CA (which kind) and dab into the void or use inlace or epoxy, or what should i do.

bruce119

First off you didn't tell us what kit and a picture would help a lot. (I guess I missed the lotus kit still early for me):redface:

I think the best fix (just guessing without a picture) would be an oops band. I would think if you try and fill it you will see it. If you have a bad spot near one end of the blank you mite conceder turning off a small section down to the brass tube near the end about 1/8 - 1/4" then put some other contrasting material on. For instance what goes good with Ivory Ebony, Bloodwood some pick guard heck I use old 45 & 78 vinyl records all the time for segmenting.

I think your getting the point. A lot of time a mistake with an oops band looks a lot better then originally intended. Heck you can even say you planed it that and wind up with a nice segmented piece.

Bruce

Last edited:
Top Bottom