Filling holes in wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Okay, since I've got the drill doctor I've been able to easily drill the Acacia and have a cap made but -- there's a huge hole from a crack or knot or something in the wood. I can see the plastic insert through the hole. I'm thinking of just filling with my regular ole 2 part epoxy.

It's a pretty big hole. Maybe 1/2" long and 3/16" wide and deep.
What do you do when this type of thing hits you? Epoxy? Wood filler?
Chuck it in the garbage and start over?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Do you have any saw dust from the blank (or can you make some more)? You might consider packing some of the (matching) saw dust in the bottom, keeping it in place with CA. This way the brass tube won't be showing. Then, fill the remainder with whatever ... more dust/CA, epoxy, PR, etc...

watch_art

Crushed stone and sawdust sound interesting. No tube though. Plastic insert for a kitless type pen. It's black so it doesn't show off really bad.

robutacion

Okay, since I've got the drill doctor I've been able to easily drill the Acacia and have a cap made but -- there's a huge hole from a crack or knot or something in the wood. I can see the plastic insert through the hole. I'm thinking of just filling with my regular ole 2 part epoxy.

It's a pretty big hole. Maybe 1/2" long and 3/16" wide and deep.
What do you do when this type of thing hits you? Epoxy? Wood filler?
Chuck it in the garbage and start over?

No no no, my friend...! that crack may the be the best feature in the whole blank...!

Pictures in these cases, do help considerably for a suitable suggestion(s) but, there are an enormous variety of materials that can be used to fill wood, the most common being crashed stone, Pearlex or equivalent powders/colorants, metal powders, sawdust, wood shavings, etc, etc...!

Some times a contrasting material is better, other times a matching colour and material is preferred and when it comes to using sawdust as fillings, starting the turning with a clean work space/lathe, will allow for sawdust or shavings collection for the fillings.

I also suggest that people keep a small portion of sawdust from every different woods they turn as sometimes, the sawdust/shavings form the same blank, are not always the best option, for various reasons so, if you have the space get some glass jam jars and use them to store the sawdust. If storage space is a problem, the plastics bags the pen kits come on, are enough to get you out of troubles, particularly with pens where a small amount is all is required.

To store those bags, a normal shoe box or equivalent is plenty...!

Just remember to right clearly on the bag, what wood that sawdust belongs to...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

watch_art

Pics...

Haven't felt all that great today so this is all I've done - and it was done early this morning.
After taking these photos I noticed how terribly off center the back end of the cap is. Hopefully it'll work out. The black insert has 3mm of wood on one side, and 6 on the other. It's WAY off center. I don't know how that happened when drilling - everything seemed to go quite smoothly. Ugh...

1_001.JPG

1_002.JPG

rherrell

Coffee...yeah, coffee!! It works great and it will match the dark wood color of the knot. I use it all the time to fill defects in my rocking chairs. Get a FINE grind if you can, if not then put some in a rag and beat on it with a hammer!:biggrin::wink:

Fill the hole with it and drizzle some CA over the top, hit with accelerator and sand. You may need to repeat the process a few times but eventually it will fill and look like real wood.

watch_art

Okay - coffee mixed with epoxy and waiting a few more minutes before turning it smooth. I took the off center cap and stuck it between centers and turned it clean. That was easy. :) All I have to do now is drill and thread the end to take a finial and a clip.

watch_art

The coffee looks great and the cap is done and is wearing a clip.

Screwed up the section somehow so finished it with a hammer and going to start over now. :/

watch_art

Some finished shots of the repair and the cap...
As much of a pain it is to make wooden pens with the plastic inserts, it sure does look nice in the end.

2_002.JPG

2_003.JPG

1_005.JPG

1_007.JPG

LL Woodworks

Sometimes the most simple solutions are right in front of you. I've made custom furniture for many years, thought I had used every trick in the book but never used coffee. Great tip! I have a wood working cousin who told me that a Master woodworker is the one who can turn the mistakes and OOPS into a success.:)

Top Bottom