Filling air bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

What is the secret to filling air holes in acrylic blanks? The blanks are turned down, sanded and ready to buff. I found a couple small holes and tried to fill them with thin ca. I used a micro-tip on the ca bottle. The problem is the ca does not seem to fill the hole, it sits on top of the "air pocket" if that makes sense. Anyone else have this happen and how do I make sure the ca fills the hole? Oh, and I went over the blanks first with compressed air the remove any dust.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I've had similar problems. Seems the thin ca doesn't quite fill the hole, and I have to put 4 or 5 layers on. So, I have been using medium ca to overfill the hole. Then very carefully turn that spot smooth and refinish. Keep in mind, I haven't done much of this. I probably have8 or10 blanks on my workbench in this process that I never seem to get finished. But I got tired of the thin ca not filling the holes

jttheclockman

What is the secret to filling air holes in acrylic blanks? The blanks are turned down, sanded and ready to buff. I found a couple small holes and tried to fill them with thin ca. I used a micro-tip on the ca bottle. The problem is the ca does not seem to fill the hole, it sits on top of the "air pocket" if that makes sense. Anyone else have this happen and how do I make sure the ca fills the hole? Oh, and I went over the blanks first with compressed air the remove any dust.

Are you sure it is a hole and not an air bubble that has been trapped under the resin?? If it is indeed a hole than you would fill it better with Med CA because it would take less time and coats. After it is filled, sand and polish as usual.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I just apply a bit of CA , which often sits on top like yours, then just touch the ca with a pin head to break the surface tension or meniscus or whatever it's called and it then fills the void.
For me, i sometimes can't fill a hole with just one drop of ca and so let it fully dry before putting the next drop on.

jttheclockman

I just apply a bit of CA , which often sits on top like yours, then just touch the ca with a pin head to break the surface tension or meniscus or whatever it's called and it then fills the void.
For me, i sometimes can't fill a hole with just one drop of ca and so let it fully dry before putting the next drop on.

Look at you with the big words. I had that cleaned out of my knee a few years ago. Need to have my other knee done now too. Maybe they can put some flexible CA in there.:biggrin:

magpens

I use Skip's method and it usually works .... but I use the sharp end of the pin.

ladycop322

I buy the smallest drill bit I can find. I place it over the air bubble and with my hands turn it back and forth. once I hit the air bubble, I fill with the epoxy/hardener I used when making the blank with an 18 or 16 gauge hyperdermic needle. I then place back in pressure pot. Works great for me!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I use Skip's method and it usually works .... but I use the sharp end of the pin.

Look at you with the big words. I had that cleaned out of my knee a few years ago. Need to have my other knee done now too. Maybe they can put some flexible CA in there.:biggrin:

Don't you two give me a hard time ok!!!:mad: Meniscus, pin head, you buggers know what I mean!!!
I'm loaded with a deadly form of the dreaded Man-Flu and sitting in the hotel bar in Ratingen ( near Dusseldorf ) Germany. I'm sitting here like Billy-no-Mates.:frown:

Mind you.....beer's good...:beer:

BSea

I buy the smallest drill bit I can find. I place it over the air bubble and with my hands turn it back and forth. once I hit the air bubble, I fill with the epoxy/hardener I used when making the blank with an 18 or 16 gauge hyperdermic needle. I then place back in pressure pot. Works great for me!
That's a great tip for clear blanks. Thanks!

jttheclockman

Don't you two give me a hard time ok!!!:mad: Meniscus, pin head, you buggers know what I mean!!!
I'm loaded with a deadly form of the dreaded Man-Flu and sitting in the hotel bar in Ratingen ( near Dusseldorf ) Germany. I'm sitting here like Billy-no-Mates.:frown:

Mind you.....beer's good...:beer:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Put the next one on my tab. Don't go coughing on the computer screen. Don't want to give anyone else the Man-flu:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom