Filling acrylic blank holes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick1708

I'm turning an acrylic blank and almost done.

When I was inspecting the pen, I noticed that there are some small holes in the pen. I'm not sure if they were flaws in the original, or some type of nick. Right now they are filled with dust from sanding and show up as white. Also, I have a crack. I assume this happened when I drilled and I just now saw it.

My question is this. Can I just fill and sand smooth? Do I use CA or something else?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 185
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I used a little acetone on a paper towel to clean the dust out of the holes. The a little CA will fill them. Then sand again, or if necessary, I little turn with the skew.

ldb2000

Yup , CA will do it . the round holes are most likely bubbles but the crack is chip out , use a very light touch and a sharp skew with acrylics for your finishing cuts . If you hear what Ed Davidson calls "Breaking glass sound" while you are turning the blank you are hearing chip out as the acrylic shatters instead of cutting . That sound is a warning to lighten up on your cuts or sharpen your tools or both .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Butch is right, but another way to tell if you are "chipping" is to look at the pieces that are coming off the blank. Do they look like tiny gravel? Not good!!!

You can improve your chances of success by sanding off the square edges on a belt sander (mine has 100 grit). Then, your blank is "roundish" when you start. The square corners are, usually, the most difficult to remove without chipping.

YMMV

Top Bottom