Filigree loose ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petricore

I am finished with my first filigree pen (american not euro) and after assembly and time for the centerband glue to dry I put it together and the filigree part is loose and spins on the barrel. It has now scratched up my pretty top barrel :( Did I turn it waaay too loose or am I supposed to need glue to hold this in place ? the only way I could think to glue it would be down by the base where the centerband is, so I dont run the risk of smearing the glue down the length of the tube. Any help would be great !

-Linc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've made a few of these and it's always a time-consuming affair to get the diameter of the upper barrel just right. You want the filigree sleeve to just barely slide over it after the finish is complete. You might have turned the upper barrel too much, but my guess is that you left the upper barrel a hair long. If the upper barrel is too long, the finial can't press the sleeve against the CB which will pretty much lock the sleeve in place.

Petricore

If this is the case, do I have to return, or will the glue hold it well enough in there ? it would be hard to return the barrel now that the CB is glued on ><

gerryr

If the sleeve rotates freely with the finial screwed down as tight as it will go, you could try milling the finial end of the barrel slightly to shorten it.

Petricore

Thats not a bad idea, tho I will have to push in the inlay screw that the cap screws into ... but I like that better than glue for sure.

Petricore

thanks for the input guys, I'm hoping adding a touch more friction polish will hide the scratches so I wont have to return that barrel. Since it will be hidden mostly anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom