Figured out a way to save money on blanks and kits BUT....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdibiasio

It cost me $535 to do it..... Let me explain - Over the past few months I have found myself in somewhat of a mental race to get as many pens finished as I could. I have been burning through tons of kits and blanks trying to feed the desire to get more and more done.

Well then I got interested in makeing some intricate segmented blanks, and the 3hp cabinet saw I have in my shop was really not working out that well. (Even with an Incra miter sled set-up) Using the grand daddy Uni saw for segmented blanks ended when I lost part of my knuckle to the blade cutting a small segmented piece of burl wood. I researched alternative and decided that I could not live without the Byrnes table saw, used mostly for wooden ship model building. Thats were the $535 comes in - this seems like a lot for a mini table saw, but let me tell you - after less than one week I am completely satisfied with the purchase. The most interesting side effect of this purchase is that my desire to complete as many pens as humanly possible has TOTALLY gone away. I am now lazer focused on constructing the coolest segmented blank possible. I have not even turned on my lathe this week since getting this little Gem of a saw. I have two completed segment blanks and one more in process so I will be firing up the lathe tonight to do the drilling so I can tube them. Anyone on the fence about buying this little saw should just do what I did - tell the nagging voice in your head that - YES $500 is a lot for a mini table saw if you already own a large expensive cabinet saw, and YES it will be worth the money even if that means that will be $500 less you have to buy blanks and kits with - and lastly tell that little voice to go pound sand as you can not take the money with you when you die some day, and as long as you are not going into debt to buy it - GO FOR IT and dont give it another thought.

So in summary - if you want to save money on blanks and kits, simply buy another cool tool that will occupy your shop time making one of a kind segmented blanks instead of just turning out B2B pens like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks for Reading........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Nice write up, I've been using the Byrnes table saw for years now. There is no table saw that compares to the fine thin cut this little mighty might does. You can take an 1" thick Iron desert blank and the machine doesnt flinch or surge for power.. cuts through material like butter. Its one of my favorite tools in the shop.

aggromere

i ordered a bynre table saw about 3 weeks ago and just got it tuesday. It is a very sweet little saw. I've only made a couple of blanks on it but it is really accurate. Working with little pieces is a challenge though just like on any saw. I got a new push stick kinda device to use with it and i feel a lot more comfortable with it now. I got the push stick from rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10477&filter=push

All in all i think it is a very good addition to the shop if you want to make segmented blanks.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
...It cost me $535 to do it.....
...race to get as many pens finished as I could.
.. burning through tons of kits and blanks
.. 3hp cabinet saw (Even with an Incra miter sled set-up)
.. grand daddy Uni saw
.. I could not live without the Byrnes table saw,
.. tell that little voice to go pound sand
..- GO FOR IT and dont give it another thought.

Will you adopt me?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I desired the Byrnes for a while but knew the wait to get one here to Japan was going to be a while.

So I made my own prototype with a circular saw. I have access to 1mm 5 in diameter carbide tipped blades and that makes all the difference in the world. I can get 1.3mm and 1.5mm carbide blades in 6 and 7 in diameter.

Have several jigs and can adjust by as little as .01mm for the cutting of segments. I know the Byrnes will do things mine won't but it sure is nice to have a small powerful saw that is accurate, thin kerfed and adjustable for accuracy too!

jttheclockman

Don't be fooled about a false sense of security. It still a blade spinning at a high rate of speed. Just because it is a smaller blade doesn't make it less dangerous. I believe with the right set-up you can cut just about anything on a 10" saw. Good luck with this saw and hope to see some mighty fine segmented pens come through here. And be safe!!!!

Fred

Just wondering about how many things I can get for $470.00.

That's the amount left after buying the Diablo 7.25", 60 teeth VERY thin kerf blade for my 10 table saw.

To avoid loss of ANY portion of my finger(s) I NEVER use the saw without my faithful and trusty Griper push tool. That's another fantastic device that will pay for itself instantly compared to surgery, etc.

But, I am glad you and others are satisfied with the Byrnes tool. Have fun and be safe.

DurocShark

I've seen a few reports of the grrripper handle breaking. I'll pass

Instead I use a small sled and clamp the blank to it. My fingers get nowhere near the blade.

When I first discovered woodworking I caught my thumb on a dado blade. Just a scrape, but it was enough to make me VERY paranoid about safety.

The mini saws are very nice, but if I can safely use my old Rockwell TS, I don't see a need.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Fred, John,

I do considerable flatwork and the TS is the main tool for that. Changing blades on a TS back and forth daily for fine pen segment work and then for flatwork will kill most anyone's fun or eagerness for doing both. (At least for me.) Dedicated tools are the way to go.

John, yes, of course a smaller blade can do as much damage as a large blade but that is taking the subject and intent off its course. The point behind a smaller blade was never suggested as a "safety issue". My suggestion of smaller (diameter) blades is the smaller kerfs available and more flexibility in usage and design that thicker kerfs (minimum of 1/16 for 7 inch) cannot offer. If you don't see that or need that, that is fine, but be careful in telling others that because you don't see it or need it - that they don't.

And no, you cannot do the same thing on a larger TS that you can on a Byrnes size, unless you are willing to pay $100 or more for a very specialized and custom made blade for a .039 inch or less kerf.

Where is the need for 1mm or .5mm? Click the link here:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Baron_PenStripes.jpg

I want one with .5mm, that one above was 1mm IIRC, if not it is 1.5. I base the kerf needed on the thickness of the material I used for the stripes. You can't do this with a normal TS and normal TS (or 7 in) blades!

Last edited:

darrylm

Thanks for posting this, I was just looking at the Byrnes site the other day. I have a few other things to take care of before I go spending $500+ on another tool, but this saw is certainly on the list.

jttheclockman

Fred, John,

I do considerable flatwork and the TS is the main tool for that. Changing blades on a TS back and forth daily for fine pen segment work and then for flatwork will kill most anyone's fun or eagerness for doing both. (At least for me.) Dedicated tools are the way to go.

John, yes, of course a smaller blade can do as much damage as a large blade but that is taking the subject and intent off its course. The point behind a smaller blade was never suggested as a "safety issue". My suggestion of smaller (diameter) blades is the smaller kerfs available and more flexibility in usage and design that thicker kerfs (minimum of 1/16 for 7 inch) cannot offer. If you don't see that or need that, that is fine, but be careful in telling others that because you don't see it or need it - that they don't.

Hank

Just want to point out that my intent was not discourage anyone from buying this tool or any other tool. If you can afford it and you plan on doing alot of segmenting and a super thin kerf blade is needed by all means go for it. But I have been on many sites and this includes woodworking sites where people talk about buying smaller tools because they feel safer and less intimindated. Just was my point. Look in the off topic section about some of the safety problems that caused injurys. Just wanted to make a point. That is all. Some people use a handheld miter box and make segmented cuts using a fine blade. Some people use a scrollsaw to make segmented cuts using a finer blade. Hank, I have alot of tools I have bought over the years that others would feel are a waste of money but to me it helped in what I was doing. Please don't put words in my mouth. I can get in enough trouble on my own.

And no, you cannot do the same thing on a larger TS that you can on a Byrnes size, unless you are willing to pay $100 or more for a very specialized and custom made blade for a .039 inch or less kerf.

Where is the need for 1mm or .5mm? Click the link here:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Baron_PenStripes.jpg

I want one with .5mm, that one above was 1mm IIRC, if not it is 1.5. I base the kerf needed on the thickness of the material I used for the stripes. You can't do this with a normal TS and normal TS (or 7 in) blades!

Hank, just making a point.:) Happy Turning.

jdmyers4

I've got my eye on getting that Byrnes table saw later this year, after I replace my old particle board benchtop with a maple one. But I'm thinking about also eventually trying my hand at Model Ship building, so it will come in handy there too.

I got to quit thinking about it, it's making me drool all over my keyboard!

jkeithrussell

I've seen a few reports of the grrripper handle breaking. I'll pass

Instead I use a small sled and clamp the blank to it. My fingers get nowhere near the blade.

When I first discovered woodworking I caught my thumb on a dado blade. Just a scrape, but it was enough to make me VERY paranoid about safety.

The mini saws are very nice, but if I can safely use my old Rockwell TS, I don't see a need.

**never mind***

Last edited:

andyk

I just recently purchased the Proxxon mini table saw; Model FKS/E through eBay. With the Microsoft search rebate, and free shipping it was just over $300. I haven't done much with it yet but it came highly recommended by a friend whose opinion I value. So far I like it, I looked at the Byrnes but it was more than I was willing to part with right now.

Top Bottom