Figured Bloodwood Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigguyZ

So, I was at my local Rockler, and they had a bunch of bloodwood blanks in a little plastic bin for $0.49. I figured that they were cheap enough, so I bought all of them, even though some were not so spectacular in color.

A few nights ago I was cleaning up my shop and organizing some of the blanks. I looked at one thinking that the color really wasn't red at all, and it was almost a piece of junk. But when I looked closed under the shop lights, I noticed something odd about the gain. So I took a card scraper to the blank and discovered that not only did the blank have a good color to it, but it had a quilted figure as well! I've checked the other 9 or so blanks I bought, and only 3 other blanks have some quilting- but it's really minor and nothing like the blank pictured below.

So- I'm wondering how rare this is in something like Bloodwood? Also, I want to make a special pen out of it, so I'm thinking maybe a Statesman or something higher-end... What do you all think?

2007914124637_DSCF0656.jpg

200791412473_DSCF0674.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kent4Him

I believe when you have quilting in bloodwood like that, it is very toxic. To be safe, you should send it to me and I will dispose of it properly for you.[:D]

BigguyZ

I wonder is anyone knows the realative rarity of a figured exotic like this. I've seen figured domestics like Maple, Poplar, and the like- but never something like Bloodwood or Paduk or Purpleheart, or whatever. Maybe a burl, but not quilting...

Also, I'm wondering if this should translate to a more expenive pen. How much or a premium would this blank, when finished, command over the same pen with a "plain" Bloodwood blank?

GBusardo

Originally posted by BigguyZ
<br />I wonder is anyone knows the realative rarity of a figured exotic like this. I've seen figured domestics like Maple, Poplar, and the like- but never something like Bloodwood or Paduk or Purpleheart, or whatever. Maybe a burl, but not quilting...

Also, I'm wondering if this should translate to a more expenive pen. How much or a premium would this blank, when finished, command over the same pen with a "plain" Bloodwood blank?

I really don't think rarity matters as far as price goes. Most people buying a pen would not know the difference between bocote and zircote. If they like the look, they will buy. I would almost bet you would get more looks (not more buys) if the pen was priced at 200.00 than 30.00. At that point, your salesmenship would come into play.

By the way, thats a sweet looking blank [:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom