Fiberglass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

go_fish

Hey guys,

Ive had a strange request..... A bloke wants 20 pens made out the new customer fiberglass blanks he builds.

Is it possible to turn down fiberglass? This is something i have never done.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Not sure but if you try I would make sure to use a high quality mask, excellent ventilation and a long sleeve shirt you plan on throwing out..those glass fibers are nasty

PTsideshow

In addition to the above ask if it chopped or cloth fibers (blanket) in them. either way they may be real fuzzy after turning. with the cloth depending on the design you could turn through the material. with the chop or shred it may vary in thickness of the layer.
:clown:

cnirenberg

I though I had struck it rich when I found some FG resin and cast it up. Didn't finish up like PR or alumilite an I soon found another use for it.

Carl Fisher

Fiberglass is actually the cloth or mat that is used. It is saturated with either polyester resin or epoxy resin to harden and create what most call fiberglass.

So that being said, the resin itself isn't the issue, it's whatever cloth they used. It would be turn-able, but the end results might vary depending on how the type of cloth (chopped strand, mat, bi-axial, etc...) and how it is laying when the finished diameter is exposed.

go_fish

Fiberglass is actually the cloth or mat that is used. It is saturated with either polyester resin or epoxy resin to harden and create what most call fiberglass.

So that being said, the resin itself isn't the issue, it's whatever cloth they used. It would be turn-able, but the end results might vary depending on how the type of cloth (chopped strand, mat, bi-axial, etc...) and how it is laying when the finished diameter is exposed.

From what i know S-Glass Unidirectional cloth. They are rolling the blanks in 3 different colors that will be almost translucent. It should be interesting when the samples come through. I have asked if it is possible for him to roll my samples with a 7mm ID.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

The only real issue I see would be making sure that the cloth is completely saturated. If you get down to finished diameter and find some cloth that was not saturated, you'll end up with fuzzy strands that will have to be saturated with thin CA and worked back down.

Otherwise be prepared for an uneven surface as well. FG is typically topped with a gel coat or body filler or similar as it typically does not leave a perfectly smooth finish as well has having to deal with things like air bubbles and such. You might get close, but I'm thinking a good build up of CA over the top will be needed to smooth everything out and keep people from handling a material that can irritate skin for many.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you!

Top Bottom