fiber washer pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I recently got some fiber washers from Ryan at Woodturningz and wanted to see how they worked. This is a satinwood pen with three washers on each barrel-orange-blue-orange. They turned fine but you can definitely tell when you go from cutting wood to cutting a washer. They turned, sanded and took a finish fine. Getting them incorporated into the blank was a bit figety. I cut the blank, drilled it and cut it again. Then I glued one end of the barrel in and then each washer was put on the brass barrel and glued down then the remainder of the wood was placed on the barrel and glued. Then I put it in a bench vise to cure. I use polyurethan glue for almost all of my pens. That gives a lot more working time. I don't think I could use CA for these washers, they take a bit more time to get everything glued in place. But, maybe is was just my lack of expertise.
Anyway, I like having another type of decoration. For me it would not be something for a high production run but thats fine. I do this for all the fun and I enjoy the process as much as the finished product.
Thanks for looking and any comments would be welcome. The pen kit is a slimline, gun metal finish. That is also from Ryan and I like it.

200522605528_washers.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Since they are washers, are they already drilled?
I know, dumb question.
Quite often I will add thin strips in a glue up and then drill.

tipusnr

Nice pen. Good sense of balance and proportion.

Thanks for the write-up on your procedure in using the washers. I bought some a while ago but they've just been sitting in the shop as I never think of them when doing glue-ups. Hadn't even thought through how I'd glue them in...thanks!

jimr

Coach - You can omit the slimline centerband without doing anything else. There is plenty of space for the top half to match the bottom. It just makes the pen a little shorter.
Yes, the washers are already drilled for 7mm tubes. Ryan has red, black, blue, white, orange and green. A sample pack of 5 each are $6.00. Thats $.20 each so I have $1.20 on this pen. If you were going to stack a bunch on each half it could easily be more than the cost of a slimline kit. The washers are about 1/32 thick so it takes several to really show up very well. I don't know how it would work to have washers on the ends of the blanks that meet. I may try that next.

its_virgil

I use lots of these washers and really like them. I use CA and it works great. Thick CA gives ample working time. After you do this a few more times you will get your technique down and the CA will be a bit more comfortable. Looks good...I wish the orange ones were a little more orange and not so red. Try red, white, blue for a patriotic look. I did some r-w-b on some freedom pens I made.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom