A Few Questions From a Kitless Novice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

I have a female customer(a young lady of 20 something) that would like me to make her a roller-ball and a matching FP. With all the info in the Library I don't think I will have a problem but I need some general info on sections.

First, I thought I recalled seeing a chart of thread sizes and pitches for the different size sections, caps, posts etc but I cannot seem to locate it in the Library. Would someone provide me a link or directions to this info assuming I wasn't imagining it. Been having a lot of "senior" moments lately.:redface:

Second, I know there are at least two sizes of front sections, the larger #6 and a smaller #5. Are there smaller ones such as a #4. The young lady customer showed me a fountain pen she already had and to me it seemed smaller than even the small #5. If there is something smaller than #5 I would appreciate any info on it.

Any other info not shown in the Library tutorials that would help me would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
JD

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Sorry, JD. As soon as I hit the post button, I realized that they didn't answer your specific question.:redface:

No problem, actually there are pieces of answers in each of these references and I may end up having to pick them out but I am almost positive that there is a thread cross reference guide someplace that details the typical threads used on the various size pens and where they are used.:)

JD Combs Sr

Found one of the answers. The spread sheet with typical thread sizes and where they are used. I found it in my download folder. Don't remember where from and it doesn't have any author identification info but I appreciate whom ever created it. I am attaching a copy for anyone else that may need it.

Well I typed all the above then decided I could use the file name for a search of the IAP site and guess what I found. The info was published by Joe Judge in this thread. He has a Excel spreadsheet and a PDF available within the thread. Now if I can just find info on the other question.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I am not aware of a nib size smaller than 5 that is available commercially. Not that I an a definitive expert on that but what I have seen currently available are only 5 and 6. Some of the #5 feeds had very small or no shoulder on the feed allowing for very thin front sections. The #5 Heritance feeds and the old style #5 Jowo (Meister Nib) feeds were that way.

Jjartwood

Pilot makes a nib for the namiki click fountain pen it is very small and can be made to all but disappear in a section if you want however the ink cartridges are not standard
and I've only found them on line. I posted my first kitless pen under JJartwood a couple of weeks back and I used the pilot nib on that pen.

RichF

JD,

I'm not sure on the chart you a looking for. In the end, you can use whatever sizes work best for your pen design.

For the nib question, I know that IPD sells a Schmidt nib (all-in-one) that is smaller than a #5.

Good luck.

JD Combs Sr

JD,

I'm not sure on the chart you a looking for. In the end, you can use whatever sizes work best for your pen design.

For the nib question, I know that IPD sells a Schmidt nib (all-in-one) that is smaller than a #5.

Good luck.
I had looked at that one a few days ago and wondered if it might be smaller then most. However, I didn't consider it because to me it looked like it was intended to go into a plated metal sleeve like seen on this one. Seems to have a pretty sharp flange on the nib end for a stand alone section but as a novice I could certainly be wrong.:redface:

RichF

I have used them in a couple of componentless pens. The flange isn't a problem. It is an all-in-one design, so you can't remove the nib from the housing.

Top Bottom