A few questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clement

Hi,
I've read in a book about inserts in penblanks. The author has mentionned " pickguard " it looks like a black plastic with a white line in the middle. Can you tell me what kind of material this is ?

I see many times pens that are making of " Box Elder ". Is this a typical american wood ? I'm not able to find out what other name it could have.

Thanks for the precisions :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rpasto92

Pickguard is the material they use to make guitar picks. It comes in many colors. As for Box Elder, I believe it's in the Maple family of trees. That may not be too helpful but I'm sure other will chime in.

beamer

Actually, pickguard is used to protect the surface of the guitar FROM the picks. It's a laminate of various plastics. Check guitar supply sources. That's where you'll find it :)

I can't add much about Box Elder, i think i've heard the same about it being in the maple family

1080Wayne

Clement Box elder is a N American soft maple . Acer negundo is the Latin name . It frequently gets infected with a fusarium fungus which turns the wood red . You may find it listed as flame box elder . Box elder burls take dye well , and are sold in a range of colours . Wayne Richardson

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Pick guard is similar if not the same as the material used to make names badges.You have seen them.White background black letters or the reverse.
The stuff sold to luthiers is just larger sheets.
I have made the same effect using antler pices and blackwood or ebony.
I don't like to put a piece of plastic in an beatiful piece of wood but that is my preference

airrat

Clement you can find pickguard by doing a google search or grizzly carries some. I have used it a couple times and it does add a nice accent/contrast. Also I believe CSUSA carries a little variety pack if you want to try it out.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by clement
<br />Thanks for the info [:)]
Eagle, such as you i prefer wood inserts, my question was pure curiousity [:I]
I undertand that.
I think as pencrafters we all look for different ways to make our pens look unique.(Hence your interest in pick guard)
The appealing nature of the pick guard material is the contrast and the size of the thin lines that one might put into a blank before turning.
I prefer to go for natural materials to achieve the same effect.

tnilmerl

Didn't someone post here not too long ago a link to a site that was selling pickguard variety packs already cut to the pen blank dimensions (3/4 x 5")? I remember looking at it and thinking "wow, no more waste cutting my own".

its_virgil

Look two posts up just above eagles's post. Tom answered your question....CSUSA sells strips in a pack of 5 I think. CSUSA = Craft Supplies USA = http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com

pickguard: http://tinyurl.com/sogaz

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by tnilmerl
<br />Didn't someone post here not too long ago a link to a site that was selling pickguard variety packs already cut to the pen blank dimensions (3/4 x 5")? I remember looking at it and thinking "wow, no more waste cutting my own".

Quicksilver

Hi All!!

I wanted to reply to this topic due to I am the one that provides the material to CSUSA. I have many sizes, colors and laminations of pickguard. If I have enough response I was thinking of selling it on this forum for anyone interested. Please let me know if you would be interested. [8D]

Thanks!
[8D]Quicksilver[8D]
First Strike Enterprises

bob393

Pickguard is the same material used to make signs,
the type where you cut through the surface and expose a contrasting color underneath.
Pickguard is usually clear, black or marbled.
It is avalable through luthier supply companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom