A Few More Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I just finished making 20 more pens. Sure is hard to get a decent picture of so many all at the same time.
These are just fill in stock for the empty spots where pens have been sold out of one of my display cases.
The ones on the right are modified slim-lines with wipe on poly finish.
The ones on the left are Slimline Pro Click Top Gel Writers with WB lacquer finish.
I tried the wipe on poly finish for the first time. I have no idea how it will stand up. The finish eventually looked good after the waiting time between coats.
I have used the lacquer finish for about a year and a half now and it has a proven record of standing up exceptionally well. Any I have used it on look as good today as when I applied it and that includes my own personal pen that is used every day seven days a week.
I also like the water clear formula of the WB lacquer that allows the true color of the woods to show through.
So , although the wipe on poly turned out looking just fine I will probably stick with lacquer because the lacquer finish is applied in hours compared to days for the wipe on poly and being the impatient person that I am, I don't like to have my shop tied up for a couple days while a finish is drying .
On the other hand, if I had a separate finishing room, the wipe on poly would not present that problem.
W.Y.

113686843.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregD

That's a fine looking bunch of pens Bill. I too am using wb lacquer. I've also tried the wipe on poly. I have agree that the lacquer holds up to use. That's why I use it. The poly does look great but just doesn't dry fast enough for me.

William Young

Oh My Gosh ! !
Thanks for the compliments but they are not *that* good compared to what I see of others work here.
I make mostly basic stuff like that because I just don't have the market for high end ones where I live so I seldom get into the higher priced kits and the fancier pens . I live in a depressed area. It is predominantly a retirement town with over 65% of the poulation (including me) being on old fogies government pension.
But we do have fun.

W.Y.

William, great looking set of pens. Awfully small pic but the important thing is that you are turning, & having fun doing it.

William Young

Thanks Shane;

You mighty be interested in snagging some others to put in your 'to do list' file.
You can find that picture and all the rest of my feelbe attempts of turning by clicking on my Picturetrail link at the bottom of my messages. I have a choice of copy blocking or no block on my albums there. But I don't block them because most people are reasonable enough to ask before copying. So go ahead and help yourself if there is anything there that interests you. If you find any that are accidentally blocked just let me know and I'll take care of it.
W.Y.

GregD

Hi William,
You have some nice looking pens on your page. I really like the band saw boxes. Do you have a drawing or pattern for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom