Feminine wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckerdave

Other than Purpleheart, Pink Ivory, Tulipwood, and Kingwood, are there any other "feminine" woods that I am missing? I am looking for material for a pen for my girlfriend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Dave - I've done a couple in Cedar and they seem to get much more attention from the women then from the men. I don't remember if you saw my wife's pen when you were at my house. It was 2 tone cedar.

G1Pens

My wife, who is very feminine, likes just about any wood with a beautiful grain pattern to it. She tend to not like the darker woods as much. With her it is more about the pen (kit). She likes sparkly thing. Bling!!!

If I was you, I would let her look at some pictures of pens in a catalog or online and see what rings her bell. You might be surprised.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Other than Purpleheart, Pink Ivory, Tulipwood, and Kingwood, are there any other "feminine" woods that I am missing? I am looking for material for a pen for my girlfriend.
Here's an FP from Yellowheart (Pau Amarello).
attachment.php

The Yellow/Gold has a very feminine look to my eyes! Would she like it? That's the question.

Attachments

• 468 (Small).jpg
    468 (Small).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 730

ohiococonut

Red Flame Box Elder Burl :biggrin:
Didn't take my wife long to latch on to this one.
Probably the most beautiful pen I've made, and it's on a Slimline

TCsPen.jpg

I've made three different pens with the stock I've got and they ALL look feminine.

SDB777

Wife prefers crosscut spalted pecan over those that were listed above.

She told me it is more unique then 'regular' wood.....and from the sales to women she works with, I'd have to agree. Spalted anything sells to those great gals!!!

Scott (sales always indicate what to get) B

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave... I go along with Delbert and do a Red Flame-Box-Elder. Make it stabalized however. My wife picked both of my Stab.FBE pens out of 30 pens I sent out. Great for gifts to women she said. I thought the un-stab. was a little soft, and grainey.

okiebugg

I agree

I totally agree with the Box Elder being the most feminine of woods. My wife agrees, but she also likes light Pink Ivory. I make a habit of taking two or three pens, including one in Box Elder/Burl when I systematically visit banks. I usually don't have a reason to be there, but I ask them to break a fifty, and Oh, by the way, do you like these? The young women at the teller windows usually take the BE and I usually get an order fot 1 or 2 more.

Women LOVE the 'pink'.

Nice pen by the way.

Red Flame Box Elder Burl :biggrin:
Didn't take my wife long to latch on to this one.
Probably the most beautiful pen I've made, and it's on a Slimline

TCsPen.jpg

I've made three different pens with the stock I've got and they ALL look feminine.

Lady woods

I do craft fairs and I have found that the ladies like the tinted woods in pink, blue & green. The maple woods tint very well. Look at the Penn State site and you will find burel, spalded, culy and plain maples. I sell three to one but I use the fully stablized and tinted (dyed) woods.
Hope it helps. Aiken pen maker.

IPD_Mrs

Red Wood Burl (eyes especially nice) Yellow or Grey Box Burl, Narrow leaf Mallee. While I personally LOVE to look at Desert Ironwood Burl I find that the pen weight is a bit much for any lengthy writing.
If you move away from wood - some of the man made materials are beautiful for women. I especially love those that have a very elegant look or a very nostalgic look.

Mrs.

ohiococonut

I suppose the style of pen and the manner in which you turn the contour could make it lean more towards woman as well. I know I try to make some particularly for women and I've yet to have a man buy it for himself. At least he didn't admit to it :embarrassed:

bradh

Redheart is my biggest selling wood for women. I think part of it is the name, it looks very similar to Bloodwood. Redheart outsells Bloodwood about 4 to 1 in my total sales, and I don't recall ever selling a Bloodwood anything to a women.

You are asking all these men what a woman likes. As a woman myself, I suggest you casually show her some woods and see what she thinks about them. She will choose her pen blank without even knowing it.

BSea

This is another vote for Flame Box Elder Burl Here's one I did for my daughter from a small piece of FBEB.

Kathypen1.jpg

I did an Aero for my wife with the small piece that was left over. I need to get a picture of that one too.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I sometimes try to match their hair color - Olive wood for blonds, amboyna for redheads, rosewood burl for brunettes.

Top Bottom