Featured pen on home page.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mariner1

O.K. I love the design of the pen as it is nautical. I am now thinking of doing something like it using the tow boat I now work on as my inspiration. Is the picture on the alternative ivory laser engraved, or is it actual scrimshaw work. I would love to get a tow boat engraved on some pieces to make pens for work.

Karl

lorbay

O.K. I love the design of the pen as it is nautical. I am now thinking of doing something like it using the tow boat I now work on as my inspiration. Is the picture on the alternative ivory laser engraved, or is it actual scrimshaw work. I would love to get a tow boat engraved on some pieces to make pens for work.

Karl
This is Glenn's write up on this pen.
Had a few requests for a few more photos and a description of how this pen was made, it is a modified Churchill. I have to clarify that this is not my original design, it is my replica of a birthday pen that was made for me a couple years ago by Richard Kleinhenz and Angelo Iafrate of the Penmakers Guild. Their version was inspired by a pen by "Krone" of the Moby Dick title.
Krone Moby Dick Limited Edition At JOON New York
In awe when I opened it, I had to figure out how to make it and did my own version of it. I then took my pen to the studio of Jim Clary, an artist who does incredible paintings of ships and boats as well as being an expert on the Titanic. His paintings often sell for $30 and 40 thousand dollars. I connected with him and we did a limited edition series of pens to sell in his gallery, using his original pen and ink drawing of the Titanic, with it's captain in the foreground, done with all dots of india ink. after the body was done, I send it to Kallenshaan Woods to have the image engraved. The body was turned from alternative ivory and the raised "rope" lines were carved with a jewelers file. We used his favorite wood, zebrawood on the cap and post finial, figuring how to drill the right depth and turn the proper diameter to hold the rope was the most challenging. The rope is done with fishing line I had in an old tackle box my father left to me after his passing. Then I had to put the cap finial in the collet chuck, turn it down so I could fit it in the cap and still have the threads and room for material to turn, so the original cap finial is under the wood. we topped it off with a cabachon on the cap top that has Clary's logo engraved in it.

Lin.

Mariner1

Thanks for the information, I don't intend to get quite as elaborate for my pens, but then my craftsmanship ability is not anywheres near the featured artists.

thanks

Karl

Top Bottom